iMovie with AVCHD creating HUGE .mov files

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ben2e, Jan 16, 2009.

1. ben2e macrumors member

I've got a canon HF100 (I think that's correct) it's an AVCHD recorder. I'm curious what system people use for storage and archival of the video. When I download the video, I get huge .mov files. I'd prefer to be able to download and edit the raw video content and perhaps convert any finished product I make into mp4, mp2 etc. But I do want to keep my original stuff after perhaps editing out useless stuff (left the camcorder recording while it was sitting on the table etc.) Something similar to what I do in lightroom where I keep the raw images and export to jpg when I'm satisfied.

Can someone recommend a video editing (and perhaps organizing). I saw Adobe had a pro package for $800 but that's a bit steep. I don't need anything sophisticated. I'm not even dissatisfied with iMovie's features other than it's system of download and storage.

Ben

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

All the editing apps for the Mac, AFAIK, transcode AVCHD into a different format because the codec is so CPU intensive.

Lethal

3. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

As far as storage / archival of the original clips goes, if you do a thorough search of this forum under the model number of your camcorder you should find a thread or two explaining the benefits of using a disk image to store the contents of each memory card you fill up.

Andrew.