iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RachelDublin, Sep 2, 2012.

1. RachelDublin macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I just got a Macbook a couple of months ago and I need some help please with using iMovie :))

I want to create a little movie using clips from my holidays. I downloaded them from dropbox... where they were uploaded for me by a friend. They were .mpg files at the time.

When I found I couldn't open these in iMovie I did some google research and downloaded Any Video Converter Ultimate and converted them into .mp4 files.

When I try import these newly converted files from Any Video Converter Ultimate into iMovie, the files appear grey and I cannot select them to import. When I try drag them in, I am told they are still incompatible.

I have also tried moving them into iPhoto but that also tells me it's an unrecognised format...

I just don't understand!! Can anyone help me or give advice please??

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I've not used Any Video Converter, mainly because there is any excellent alternative which is free.

Download MPEGStreamclip, and then open your mpeg video file with it.
    http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

From the File menu, choose Export to Quicktime, where you see this:

[​IMG]

Click on the Compression bar and choose Apple Intermediate Codec. This is the format that iMovie is designed for so it should work OK.

[​IMG]

Slide the Quality slider to max and then click on Make Movie.

[​IMG]

To import into iMovie, you can't drag and drop. From the File menu, choose Import>Movies and then navigate to your movie file.

3. RachelDublin thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: iMovie

Thanks so much for the help but unfortunately this still isn't working :(

...Beginning to think that this may be a problem with my laptop or the iMovie software on my laptop.

I can get as far as importing them again to iMovie but their still grey and i can't select them :S