iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dgemignani, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Dgemignani macrumors newbie

I just got a new iMac,..then I got a camcorder called Flip video.
    Though i downloaded the movies from the camcorder to quicktime, i could not send them to imovie. Called apple. They said to buy quicktime pro,..or go to a discussion board...(this is my first,..as i am an old guy). APple told me to ask for help getting an AVI to go to imovie.
    Well, its all giberish to me.Am I making sense. Can anybody help me out?
    thanks in advance.http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/frown.gif

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Yeah, so, quicktime and iMovie don't like .avi natively. so do the following.

First of all for great playback in QT and in Front Row, get the Perian Quicktime Codec pack and install it. This will install lots of codecs to help play all kinds of video formats.

Next, you need a converter for changing your .avi to .mp4. I suggest VLC Media Player... and follow these directions to convert it...DIRECTIONS HERE.

Just replace the .bin with .avi and do the same thing to covert to .mp4. Then you can import it to iMovie. Once you've done it a couple of times, it's easy, and takes almost no time at all.

hope it helps, and enjoy your mac.

Brian

3. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

If QuickTime can play it, iMovie should be able to handle it AVI or not. At least for iMovie '06.

Can you play your videos in QuickTime? Which version of iMovie are you using?