iMovie08 auto sorting stills & clips?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by KLEEE, Sep 23, 2010.

1. KLEEE macrumors newbie

Need help with iMovie 08. Am getting flustered to the core that I cannot import both photos and videos (.mov, .mp4) into iMovie in one go preserving the sequence/timeline that they were taken at. So in a session where I take both photos and videos in sequence, I want to maintain that sequence when I import them into iMovie. I can't seem to do this automatically!! Thus far iMovie is leaving me no choice but to drag and drop photos and videos one by one manually to recreate them in sequence – what a waste of time doing something that the computer should be doing for us! I should be able to select a batch of these files/media and drop them in iMovie and iMovie preserves the sort order by datetime for example. Instead:

1. It does not have a 'sort' function
    2. It will not allow selecting photos (jpg) and videos (mov or mp4) together – whether via importing from iPhoto or dragging from Finder. Always seem to require selecting photos and videos separately – photos from iPhoto and videos from Event Library. OSX apps maintain different datetimes for these media- see 3 & 4 below.
    2. Dragging a bunch of photos from Finder: iMovie always drops them in random weird order!! Only way around is drop each one in order of sequence – imagine doing this for 200+ photos.
    3. When importing photos from iPhoto or from Finder, iMovie always stamps the photos with the current datetime, not the photo's digitised datetime. So unhelpful in sorting out the timeline of these in relation to each other.
    4. When importing videos from Event Library, iMovie stamps the video clips with original digitised datetime. So never the two shall meet!!
    5. Is there a way to reset iMovie 08? I'm pretty sure at one point I was able to drag and drop mov and mp4 files directly into the timeline pane but now even that doesn't work ...

Help! How is one supposed to work with these apps? I realise that someone is going to say that the norm for home movie production consists of 90% video footage thus just drag and drop the 10% stills manually. But when the mix is 50-50 how should we work with iMovie?

2. KLEEE thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought this is the largest mac forums around. Anyone? Have I posted in the wrong sub section? Moderator please help.