imovie08 to toast 10 for blu ray output

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mrdinh, Jun 14, 2009.

1. mrdinh macrumors regular

imported my movie from my sony hd full 1080i using imovie 08...then created a mpeg4 file(sharing using quicktime)...then burn BD-R using toast 10...the quality sucks...very pixelated....can some one help please?

what are your workflow, settings?

thanks

2. mrdinh thread starter macrumors regular

my current work flow from my sony hd camcorder to blu ray disc output

1. import from my cam using imovie 08..full hd 1080i option
    2. select my scenes then, imovie creates a mpeg 4 using quicktime
    3. go to toast 10 with the blu ray plugin...burn using the blu ray movie option...since imovie already process the scenes to mpeg 4...toast 10 is doing that process again...maybe this is the prob?...how to turn this off in toast?
    4. put the bd-r disc in my sony blu ray player with my samsung hd tv..

the movie is very pixelated!...low quality...worse then my mini dv movies...

help please?..what am i doing wrong...do you need more details of my work flow?

i just want to record my kids then burn the disc to watch on my blu ray devices...the sales man never told me that this is that hard!

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Your biggest problem is that you're encoding once to MPEG-4 with iMovie and encoding that once again to MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 AVC with Toast. Here's a couple of ways to potentially improve quality:

First way -

Output from iMovie using the native video codec (if it's an AVC camera, it will probably be AIC) and send the file to Toast, letting it do its own conversion to either MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 AVC. You might get better results by customizing the encoding settings (in the "Options" section under the Blu-ray Video pane - click the "More" button).

Second way -

Using these settings assume that you have outputted video that is compatible with BD specifications (it would have to be MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 AVC, no more than 26.0Mbps). I don't think iMovie can output MPEG-4 AVC (I could be wrong) and you won't be able to output anything as MPEG-2 without the MPEG-2 QT components (a $20 purchase from Apple).

In the Blu-ray Video pane, you'll see a blue section labeled "Options." Click the "More" button and then click the "Encoding" tab. Under "Reencoding, set it to "Never."

Try one of those methods out and see how it works out.