iMovie09 and External Drive.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by krewelement394, Jun 16, 2009.

1. krewelement394 macrumors regular

krewelement394

hi i wanted to know how i can make my iMovie09 move all of the folders it created on my macbook>movies folder onto my external drive... i did it with iPhoto and now i want to do it with iMovie because the events, and projects folders are eating up my macbook's Memory...:[ im already up to 5GB on the events and Projects folders....:(

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Here's an article from Apple regarding iMovie 7 and how to manage the Event Library. The same steps are applicable with iMovie 09. iMovie Projects should remain on the primary startup drive, and are not going to take up much space there unless you've shared the completed projects to the media browser in order to make them accessible to the other iLife applications such as iDVD or Garageband.

3. krewelement394 thread starter macrumors regular

krewelement394

Alright so the article was hjelpful, but not so much...:/ i found the external drive button on iMovie but when i click on it it shows the external drive i have and it has a small exlamation point...and it will not let me import a thing to it...why?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If you read the article, you should note that the drive must be Mac OS Extended format. If its showing up with an exclamation point its probably FAT32 or some other format, and will have to be reformatted/partitioned using Disk Utility so it can be used to house your iMovie events.

5. krewelement394 thread starter macrumors regular

krewelement394

Ahhh well that makes sence!:]...if i do make it on the format it is needed will i still be able to open up files that im sharing with my windows xp computer?

here is how i have it set up.

my external drive is directly connected to my macbook, i enabled the sharing and currently sharing all the files on my external drive with my windows xp machine. i did not want to convert it to any other format since i did not know if it will work for both machines...:/