Imovie'09 Can't publish in HD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jacobson00, Aug 22, 2011.

1. jacobson00 macrumors member

Hi,

I created some video using Imovie but the only option i see to publich, export is the mobile publish. The other format Medium, HD... are grayed out. Anybody has any ideas?

Thank you

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Is the video footage that you used for your movie in HD?

3. jacobson00 thread starter macrumors member

no. They are regular wmv, avi, mpg format. when i publish it with the format they allowed me, it came up like crap. it looked great while i was working on it on imovie.
    is there another software i can buy that can i least allow me to make it a bit better.

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Yeah, it's gonna look like crap since the files that you started with probably weren't that great to begin with. As for why it looked fine while you were editing; it's because iMovie converted your files to DV and used that for editing (virtually lossless). When you share, iMovie has to re-encode your project, probably h264.

The way to get around this depends on what you're using the finished movie for. If you're posting on YouTube or something, then you'll need to convert it to YouTubes standards. If you're putting on your website, you have more options.

The best would be to export the finished movie in DV format. The file size will be huge (13 GB per hour), but the quality should be equal to what you saw during editing.

Instead of using the "Share" feature, try using the "Export" function. You have much more control over the export codec and settings. It can be a little intimidating because there's so many choices in the Export menu.

Alternatively, you can export your finished movies in DV format and then use Handbrake to convert using one of the presets.

Good Luck!

5. jacobson00 thread starter macrumors member

i am posting on youtube. or maybe on blogspot. anyway thank you. i will give it a try.