Imovie09 - two questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lamerica80, Jun 12, 2009.

1. lamerica80 macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

I have two things i cant figure out, so i hope someone can help me.

1. How do i make the clips slightly overlap so there is a softer transcision between clips? In movie maker i could just pull one clip over the previous one. Note its just for a split second, you should barely notice it.

2. I want to put a short clip (replace the video not the sound) inside a long clip but keep the sound from the long clip, can i do that?

Any help is apprechiated!

2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Add a transition between the two clips. Click on the transition icon, select one you like (probably one of the fade options) and then drag it between the two clips. You can adjust the transition time however you like.

For your second question, I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do, but check out the Precision Editor tutorial on the Apple site. In this example, they have two different clips of the same event taken from two different angles. They use the audio from one clip, but the video from the second.

http://www.apple.com/ilife/imovie/#precision

I'm a big fan of the old iMovie HD, and never bothered using iMovie 08. I'm just getting into iMovie 09, and while I miss the older interface, I'm starting to get the hang of it.

3. bonster macrumors newbie

I'm also having troubles editing the audio clips with the Precision Editor feature. I watched the tutorial, which explains that you need to move the pointer over the blue audio edit line until the pointer changes into the "crosshair symbol" so that you can drage the edit line to a different point on the audio clip.

My problem is that the pointer doesn't turn into a crosshair symbol so there's no way for me to drag the edit line.

Has anyone else had this problem or have an tips?

4. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

move on

My advise would be to look at Final Cut express. I use Final Cut Pro 7 now however started on FCE4, tried out iMovie and it was just all to hard. I feel like I have no real control over my clips, positioning, audio etc however FCE does a really great job.

Understanding a lot of people can not afford to go spend a few hundred dollars on software but if the option is there and you edit a lot and enjoy it I say go buy it.