iMovie11: Sync iPhone4 videos to Song?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jesterscourt, Aug 13, 2011.

1. jesterscourt macrumors regular

I am in a bit of a predicament. I was just handed a flash drive full of various MOV files shot from an iPhone4 and a song and asked to turn it into a "music video". So I have an MP3 and WAV file of the song, and various takes of the song, which I can hear them lipsyncing to, but can this be done in iMovie, or would I need something beefier like FCP? I am way out of my league to try to salvage a mutual friend's project.

Where would one start?

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Sure it can be done. Takes a bit practice, though, and very precise cutting. There's no audio in the .movs? Then you can synch it up by comparing the waveforms and reading the lips***.

***is pretty simple: sing along while you are editing (make sure no-one is around) and try to figure how your lips and tongue look while singing... a mirror (or glossy Mac screen) might help.

3. musique macrumors regular

musique

Smart software?

I've never used it, but I've heard that a piece of software called PluralEyes is very good at sync-ing video and audio in Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, and Avid. It might work with other software too. I understand they have a free trial version.

Good luck.

4. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Doesn't work with iMovie, but as you mention FCP: The synch function in FCP X has made Plural Eyes obsolete. One of the greatest features they have built into FCP X (and a workaround for the still lacking multicam).

5. jesterscourt thread starter macrumors regular

@cgbier

Some of them have the audio (playing from a stereo?) but then some of them do not, have them reading books and so forth when the lyrics should go with "turn a new page" in the song.

6. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Can you post some of that stuff somewhere? It sounds there is a pretty simple solution to your problem. You seem to look more for timing than synching if I understand your last post correctly.

I haven't shot "real" music videos yet, but you start with laying the audio track onto the timeline, then cut and synch the video to it.

To mutual friendship: If you are out of your league, then your friend should understand that you might not be able to help him.... but I bet you we can fix it here.