iMovie6 won't import from DVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mary H, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Mary H macrumors regular

Hi,

I have a homemade DVD and am trying to use the video on it to create a movie. When I try to import the file, I get as far as

File>Import > Choose file > Open
    and then nothing happens.

I also have transferred the dvd video to the computer, tried to import and still have no success.

Do I need to change the vob files to avi or mov files and if so what is the best way to convert the with losing the least amount of quality on conversion.

Thanks, Mary

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Yes. You need to convert the DVD to a format that iMovie'06 can work with, namely DV or MPEG-4.

If you can still download VisualHUB, then do so. It's been discontinued, but it was one of the best pieces of software.

Alternatively, you can use the newest version of Handbrake, but you'll need to also download the latest version of VLC as well.

ft

3. Mary H thread starter macrumors regular

Converting to DV

Okay, so I have handbrake downloaded. Not the newest version as we are using 10.4.11 and the newest one is for 10.5 and up.

What is VLC?

Thanks, Mary

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

In that case, no need for VLC. Only the newest version of Handbrake needs VLC ... and for what you're doing, you won't need the newest version.

NOTE - VLC is short for VideoLanClient. It's a video player application. The new version of Handbrake uses the libraries on VLC to decrypt commercial DVDs for backing up.

Keep in mind that Handbrake will only convert your files to MPEG-4. You may need to play with the settings to get a result that will work with iMovie. Also, since you'd be using MPEG-4, the video quality won't be as good as if you used DV.

I did a quick check and it seems as if VisualHub has been replaced by FilmRedux. You might want to check that out. Also, I read something about VideoMonkey.

One last thing to check out would be MPEGStreamClip ... although I'm not sure if it will convert DVDs without the $20 MPEG-2 Quicktime plug-in.

5. Mary H thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

It looks like FilmRedux and Video Monkey are both programs for Leopard and we are still using the Tiger at the moment.

Too bad, I would prefer to convert to DV.

Looks like it may be time to look at doing some upgrading.

Thanks anyway,
    Mary