iMovieHD won't recognize PV-GS320

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Nervous.Apathy, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Nervous.Apathy macrumors newbie

I own a Macbook Pro and after reading reviews on several sites decided to purchase a PVGS-320 camcorder. I've got the tape in, recorded stuff, seen it play back on the camcorder itself. The problem is now that I have it no matter what I do my computer doesn't recognize it. iMovie just sits there after I've plugged the USB cable in. I've changed the mode on the dial from tape recording to tae playback to ard recording to card playback to PC connection mode. Nothing works. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong as I thought it would just start up. A CDROM came with it but its exclusively for Windows I believe.

Awhile back someone named 'casebag' posted almost the exact same question. A bunch of people looked at it but no one answered. I'm hoping someone out there can help the both of us. I'm very new to Mac so I realize this may be something pretty simple but I've been left scratching my head. Do I need a cable that didn't come in the box? It came with a AC adaptor, DC cable AC cable and a USB cable (I'm reading this out of the instruction manual). Anyways if anyone needs any more info I can provide it. Thanks for reading and for any help.

2. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I believe iMovie needs Firewire connection to the camcorder. If you only have USB interface, you may have to copy the video files somehow onto our computer and just drag and drop it onto iMovie.

3. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I don't know if this helps ...
    I have a Sony MiniDV camcorder.
    To get the video off the tape, I need to use Firewire.
    To get the lower quality video and pictures off the card, I use iPhoto.

4. Osprey macrumors 6502

You have to use the firewire to import the video from the camera. Usually the USB is to transfer the photo stills from the camera. I don't now specifically about the PV-GS320, but a lot of cameras won't download video into Windows either using USB. Most software requires realtime download and I don't hink the USB can handle it.

BTW, how do you like like the camera other than this problem you are having? I was thinking of purchasing one, but wasn't sure.

5. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Like the above posters said, you'll need a firewire cable, most likely a 6-pin to 4-pin cable.

Attached Files:

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I have a gs320, and the only program that can capture via usb is the bundled one that came with the camera, which I believe is win only.

Get a firewire cable, target has one 6 pin to 6 pin with two 4 pin adapters for only $15.

7. Osprey macrumors 6502

Do you like the camera? Is the 10X optical zoom adequate? How is the quality and overall use of the camera? Thanks, I am thinking of purchasing one and any advice would be appreciated.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I love it. The quality isn't as good as the PD170 I use at work, but better than the Sony HD Handycam we have. Colors are really vibrant. Low light shooting is it's only weakness.

Unfortunately, I left it in Iraq when I came home for a family emergency. I look forward to getting it back soon.

9. Osprey macrumors 6502

Thanks for the review and I am sorry about your family emergency. I am torn between the GS320 and the GS500. I won't be using it for stills, have my Nikon for that. I wonder if there is any difference in low light situations between the two models. At any rate do you think the low level is equivalent to lower end camcorders? I am so confused as to which camcorder to buy. Unfortunately I recently made the mistake of buying a Canon DVD camcorder thinking it would work with my new MAC. I have since learned that that was a huge mistake for two reasons, quality and compatibility. I don't want to make another costly mistake. Thanks again for you input, it is appreciated.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Everything I've heard about the 500 says that it's low light ability is a lot better than the 320. And that if you are going to be doing a lot of indoor low light shooting, then go for the 500.