Impact of L2/L3 cache on Design/Drafting purposes?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mugambo, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Mugambo macrumors 6502

Mugambo

I am curious to know if L2/L3 cache impacts the performance of a macbook being used for Design and Drafting purposes. Of course this involves retrieving and real-time changes that will be made on a server and/or the macbook itself.

Secondly, how significant will the functioning depend between a 3mb and a 4mb L2/L3 cache?

Thanks in Advance

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I doubt you'll see much difference, especially with a server being involved.

The slowest link/part of what you're doing will be the decider of what you can do.

This was on digg yesterday: http://imgur.com/X1Hi1.gif

You'll have to enlarge the image then scroll to the top to see the latencies of L1/L2/RAM/HDD compared due to the massive size differences (1px=1ns)

3. Mugambo thread starter macrumors 6502

Mugambo

Even though a server is involved, don't you think retrieving will still play a major role compared to the LAN?
    I am reiterating that the kind of simulation/drafting/design involved is memory sapping and that is the reason it puts me in a spot of bother.
    These programs typically revolve around 2+Gig RAM and 4Mb - 6Mb L2/L3 cache. Pushing them on a 3Mb cache.. shouldn't that result in a visible performance glitch?

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I'd really think no, seeing how fast L2 cache is and will move data compared to LAN.

I may be wrong though, but thinking on that scale of things says the LAN/hard drive will be the limiting factor.