Impact of Theming?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bunger, Oct 19, 2010.

1. bunger macrumors 6502

I have read various threads indicating that using themes ( ie., winterboard ) may or may not ( depending on the post ) cause some performance issues and battery drain.

What is the general thought on this?

tia,
    Bill

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Depends on who you ask. Personally, I haven't seen any battery difference between my iPhones (Original, 3G, 3GS, 4) over the past few years and my wifes. Mine have been jailbroken and have had Winterboard loaded, hers is a normal plain old stock iPhone. :)

3. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Bill,

There are no battery drain issues assuming you are not using video wallpaper, web clips, or extra long sounds.

In regards to performance, as long as you use the Bundles method, there is no noticeable performance hit. Read this:

http://www.saurik.com/id/9

S-

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

For the most part, no. I've seen no difference in performance or battery usage for the themes I've installed on my phone. There are a couple themes (Slanted Lock comes to mind) that does require the weather data on it to be refreshed which uses data and battery power to do so. Depending on your frequency of updates, it can affect your battery however not the phone's performance per se.

If you use vWallpaper then there will definitely be some battery drainage due to the animated wallpapers.

But like I said, there shouldn't be any adverse affect on your phone simply by installing a theme.