Impact on iPhone Battery Life?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dogcowdaddy, Mar 12, 2015.

1. dogcowdaddy macrumors newbie

With all the concern about the battery life of the Apple Watch, I was wondering. What will be the impact of having the watch in continuous communication with your iPhone be on the iPhones battery life?

See you at 3am Eastern on 10 April.

Jim

2. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Probably not significant. I've been using a pebble watch for more than a year now and haven't had any battery concerns from it. In fact, the pebble app uses so little power that it doesn't even show up on my battery usage screen.

3. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

this ^^

although I can imagine there will be initial stories that peoples phones die quicker...what they forget is that they will be using the phone more often in order to 'play with the watch'. In normal use, I expect no change in phone battery life

4. hemolyzer macrumors member

I bet it will actually improve your iPhone's battery life because you won't be turning the screen on just to read a text or check the time dozens of times a day.

Also the watch is out on the 24th, not the 10th, unless you are planning on camping outside an Apple store just to see one.

5. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

The iPhone's screen uses more power than anything - the Watch means you'll be using the screen less.

6. mailboxbetacoin macrumors 6502

when the watch is just "listening" for the phone to broadcast any signal, battery usage is minimal. You can operate this kind of listening behavior for years on a coin cell battery, with Bluetooth 4.0.

7. refslady macrumors regular

Pre-orders start on the 10th.

8. hemolyzer macrumors member

Ah. You are right. I should know because I plan on staying up however late I need to to get mine.

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

10. refslady macrumors regular

So we will also see each other on the 10th

11. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

See you at 9PM Hawaii Time on April NINTH :D:p

12. refslady macrumors regular

Mahalo for rubbing it in!!

13. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

I use a pair of Beats Studio Wireless (Bluetooth) for 8 hours straight at work and I notice VERY LITTLE difference in the battery life of my phone.

14. Henk Poley, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015

Henk Poley macrumors regular

I think I have some data on the battery impact on the iPhone. Kuro Labs 'Normal' now lists two new services on iOS 8.2 & 8.3 that may eat substantial battery:

* nanoregistryd - 3h11m ± 1h22m (99% confidence)
    * nanoregistrylaun(cher?) - 3h27m ± 1h15m (99% confidence)

Since the nano registry is apparently for the 'Paired Device Registry' I suppose those are for the Apple Watch.

Ref: https://github.com/nst/iOS-Runtime-Headers/tree/master/PrivateFrameworks/NanoRegistry.framework

The high variability ± 1h19m probably means the actual drain depends wether you used some geofencing before, or that your iPhone could drop to full low power mode during screen off time. 2 hours is approximately what a geofencing motion tracking app (such as a step counter) would take.

I do not have an Apple Watch, so I have not seen any drop in actual battery life. It's much the same as on 8/8.1.