Impact or Meandering crack on 09 MB (last batch before Unibody's)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by XboxMySocks, Jan 8, 2010.

1. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

I have an 09 Macbook with a custom installed glass screen aka: those from the 13" MBP's.
    This installation was done via a certified apple retailer under applecare, so my machine is still under warranty.
    I have now had a chance to check out the back in time to see not only some pretty horrific discolouration by the fan's in the back of the machine, but I also see some hairline cracks. They're so small atm I can't get anything much smaller than a pair of tweezers to catch on the crack, but they're definitely cracks and not lines.
    My question is, is this a usual problem, and can this be covered under applecare for free?

2. XboxMySocks thread starter macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

I notice this thread has garnered no replies so I hope a picture will get everybody talking.
    This is a new crack which has developed on the left palmrest of the laptop. I thought apple solved this problem?
    http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4056/1001138.jpg

3. fluffyx macrumors 6502

A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will do wonders for the discoloration. Dampen it slightly with some computer cleaner (like iKlear), and firmly rub it against the discolored plastic.

For the cracking on the bottom case (white shiny plastic), Apple had acknowledged the issue but will not perform a repair free of charge.

For the crack on the left palm rest, take your computer back to the same shop who installed your display and request that they fix it free of charge.

Good luck!

4. XboxMySocks thread starter macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Ok, sweet, thanks for the information.
    Just to clarify, even though it's under applecare (for another 3 years, my thing runs out on december 21, 2012 lol) I still have to pay to replace it?