Implications of lightning audio/headphones vs universal

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trifid, Mar 6, 2016.

1. trifid, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016

trifid macrumors 65816

trifid

So I was thinking about the possible repercussions of a world of lightning headphones due to iPhone 7, there's been a lot of discussion about this, but I haven't seen anyone mention how this will affect Macs and computers in general.

Apple is currently making a Macbook 12" with 1 USB-C and 1 3.5mm. Suppose the world moves to lightning headphones following Apple's decision to make it mainstream in iPhone 7, would the Macbook get 1 USB-C and 1 lightning port for headphones? Seems silly right?

I guess there would be a USB-C adapter that has a lightning port, but who wants a clunky adapter hanging out of your macbook just to listen to your 'digital' headphones?

Suppose Apple would choose USB-C instead of lightning for iPhone 7, the Macbook 12" could have 2 USB-C, this would be far more useful since you could use the second USB-C for either headphones or any other USB-C device.

Similarly on other Macs, when they start shipping with USB-C, having USB-C as the standard for headphones would make them universally compatible and there'd be no need for adapters (in a USB-C headphone world).

Having said this, if Apple wants the future to have 'digital' sound and get rid the analog port, it'd seem like leading the world with USB-C would benefit everyone, including apple's own ecosystem.

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I am betting it all gets worked out and we either love it or learn to deal with it. What ever APple is going to do, they are not taking votes and likely the choice has been made.

3. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

I am not one of those who believe that business implications are the primary guide for their design engineers ("See, it's planned obsolescence!!! Those rotten bastards!!").

However, the Lighting port runs through the MFi program, and any headphone maker who wants a piece of the action is going to have to give part of it to Apple.

And not everyone will be willing to do that, which is going to limit choice.

Users not willing to do that will have to put up with a clunky, unsightly analog adapter from Apple, and pay its price.

4. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Im going to guess apple is going to try and nickel and dime people with 3.5 mm to lighting adapters or tell people to move on to bluetooth. I can't see lightning becoming any sort of standard since apple forces people to pay them to use it. It will be interesting to see how the EarPods and Beats headphones will be handled.

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

On my last three iPhones the ear buds remain in the original case, unused. I know many would but I would not miss the headphone jack if Apple did away with it.

6. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I rarely use my iPhone headphones with my Macs, so I'm guessing on a whim that if Apple goes down that path, they'd prefer us to use/buy a more suitable set of buds. Like Beats :)

And Lightning headsets would remain exclusive to iPhone.