Implications of Steve Jobs' quote re: WWDC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Aniej, May 31, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

Maybe I am just being a bit overly sensitive to the language that was used, but Steve is very particular in his choice of words so I think this question is warranted. Ironically I can't find it right now, but he told Walt that WWDC would bring exciting advances to the desktop.

Instead of choosing Apple or Mac he used desktop which seems a little more intentional and clearly specific. It is the failure to reference MBP that makes me intrigued and perhaps a very little bit worried that we will in fact not see MBP updates at WWDC.

Thoughts?

2. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

He was simply referring to OSX 10.5.

Hickman

3. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I think you're interpreting what he said incorrectly....

"Desktop", as a place, implies things outside the scope of something as specific as Apple or the Mac. The advances he's talking about are no doubt Apple/Mac-specific, but they're advances above-and-beyond what's currently available on any "desktop" (including Linux, Windows, Mac, etc etc etc).

I think that's what he meant. So, the way I see, it's intentionally broad in terms of its scope, rather than specific in not mentioning Apple/Mac.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I agree. The MBP will deifnitely not be left out when the updates start happening around the WWDC time frame...

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i stumbled over the same quote. i think it refers to the new imac because of a new form factor and significant redesign. i'm worried that he did not mention the notebooks.
    that could mean there is either only a speedbump/pricedrop and a new MBP together with Leopard in october.
    Or the formfactor stays the same and santa rosa alone doesn't make it worth mentioning for steve.

only a few days and we know.....

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I don't know if Apple would give the MBP a speed bump and then only a few months later give it a complete redesign in conjunction with Leopard. Mind you, a speed bump in June and a refresh in October - that is only a 4-month time span... hmm... It would be so much easier if Apple released a signficantly updated MBP at WWDC instead... :D ;)

I am looking forward to the new iMac though for sure - Apple always seems to do an amazing job on its design and I can't wait to see what they come up with this time. :cool:

7. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

first and foremost shard, ben franklin quote is awesome. I truly think franklin was one of the greatest contributors to the United States and world as an inventor, statesman, and educator (and lady's man).

Regarding MBP. I am mixed between interpreting it as the others who waved this away as simply semantics and the view that steve is very specific in his language along with the recent set of rumors regarding a possible MBP release next week. Either way it will be interesting to see what happens. What I do know is that I am due for an upgrade from my PB to whatever MBP is released.

Shard, I am a bit confused by your last post regarding an update now followed by one in 4 months in Oct. What update are you referring to for a MBP that is set for Oct.? The next thing I could see would be in late Q2-Q4 2008 MBP getting Intel's new platform. Can you explain a bit more my friend because I am confused. Thanks

Oh just out of curiosity, does anyone think the next MBP update will see any changes made to the design of the MBP? Obviously LED is not part of this and minor changes count too.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I was referring to andiwm2003's comment:

I was meaning that it is probably unlikely to see a MBP speedbump at WWDC and then a completely revamped MBP in October, only 4 months away. I have no knowledge of a MBP update in October, no. That being said, if Leopard does indeed have some "top secret features" and they somehow require hardware changes of some sort then Apple could be holding off major revisions in order to release them in conjunction with Leopard, since they will essentially be required with the new OS.

I do not think this will be the case though. Instead, I see a major revision to the MBP next, not just a speedbump, and hopefully this will occur in a couple weeks around WWDC season as opposed to closer to Leopard's release (with nothing in the interim).

9. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

nice clarifications, got it now. I think I would tend to agree with your reasoning on this. I would add that in light of the leopard delays, understandable focus on iPhone launch, and some outspoken critics as to the alleged ignoring of the Mac line, a nice update to MBP seems most likely. Whether it is next week or at WWDC really means nothing to me. I feel it would be a mistake to tie too many of the hardware sales too closely to the 10.5 launch. This could be a very long post detailing why I think it is a mistake, but I am tired tonight so I will just provide a conclusory statement instead of my usual detailed one.

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No worries, I know where you're coming from. ;) Yeah, we have gone far too long without hardware updates, that's why I am certain we will see more than one around the WWDC timeframe - MBPs, iMacs, who knows what else... now the rumors say new MBPs next Tuesday! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Here's hoping for a Santa Rosa LED MBP, not just a minor speed bump as was the case with the latest MacBook revision. I think a more major update makes sense for a few reasons - first of all, the MBP is due for a major update, plain and simple. Secondly, since prosumers use this machine, a more significant update is definitely warranted. Lastly, with the latest update to the MacBook line, as minor as it was, the gap between the high-end MacBook and low-end MBP became less. In the simple interests of product differentiation it is logical for the MBPs to receive a decent upgrade to separate them sufficiently from the MacBooks.

And yes, I shudder to think if we only see a slight proc upgrade or something along those lines to the MBPs - does that mean we would have to wait until 2008 for Penryn?! :eek: :mad:

11. McBeats macrumors 6502a

hehehe I sure hope not.
    I need a lportable machine soon. I'll wait for penryn for a desktop running Logic 8.
    I just really hope they do something about the graphics and CPU.
    and more minimum ram and bigger hdd would be nice.

12. hawaiian macrumors member

hawaiian

I know that apple doesn't always do what I think they should do, but I think that it would be unwise for them not to update the MBP. Now that competitor companies are using laptops with SR, which is marketed as being faster and for incorporating new technologies with flash memory and such, it wouldn't make sense for apple to leave their high end laptop line in the shadows of their competitor's laptops. Due to the pattern in which apple has traditionally updated their product lines, it seems likely to me that there will be some sort of update sometime soon.

Just a thought. Only time will tell.

13. Igantius macrumors 65816

True - and don't forget that the gap between the MBs and MBPs have been a fairly slim one (the MB Ars Technica review neatly summed it up) way before this latest revision. There're been quite a few reviews (e.g. MacUser in the UK) that concluded that the MB is a surprising and viable option for many who would normally only considering a MBP as their portable machine.

Personally, I think the next MBP update will be more marked than the MB one, but less so than what most people are hoping.... but this is one time I don;t mind being wrong!

14. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

You're right. If it was consumer line to be updated, they could actually be waiting for the Leopard launch. But we're talking about Pro model here, and Pro models sometimes have very advanced hardware inside. Therefore, it would be no biggie for Apple to include some hardware that would only be supported by future operating system. It does not prevent releasing Pro hardware, not at all. When it's ready to be released, it will be released.

But I doubt there is going to be such hardware this time. Robson would however be the best candidate for such, but even that's unlikely. If it's there, I bet it will be supported right away.

15. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Yes, I'm sure. Penryn will not be happening this year. We're talking about January or April next year…

16. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Agreed.

17. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

remember that the did the 2.1GHz iMac G5 and a few (2 month!) month later the dual core intel iMac.

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Quite true - when it comes to Apple, all bets are off! All we can do is speculate on is what would be the most logical and feasible, even though this may not ultimately be the way things play out. ;)

19. GregA macrumors 65816

Well the MBP was released... and doesn't SEEM to have any hardware that's unsupported. Is it possible to hide it (via a false firmware version, or misleading driver name for both OSX & Bootcamp).

(No touch screen for me!)