Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lssmit02

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
Has anyone figured out a simple way to import Canon HIF files into their Mac? Apple Photos for Mac can't preview them when you plug in the camera, and won't import them if you select the greyed out preview image. On the iPhone, the Canon camera app won't let you do it, either. Is there some camera setting that interferes with Apple devices seeing these files, or is it just that Apple and Canon have not worked together to make them compatible?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Has anyone figured out a simple way to import Canon HIF files into their Mac? Apple Photos for Mac can't preview them when you plug in the camera, and won't import them if you select the greyed out preview image. On the iPhone, the Canon camera app won't let you do it, either. Is there some camera setting that interferes with Apple devices seeing these files, or is it just that Apple and Canon have not worked together to make them compatible?
What if you change the file extension to .heic?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Drag and drop them from your image card to your Mac. Then change the file extension to .heif and then they'll import/open in any Mac app.

I know this because it works for me.

Last edited:

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
I was hoping this (along with RAW support for R5/R6) would come in iOS 14.5, but I guess we’re still waiting… maybe iOS 14.6? Or iOS 15 at this point. Would make the iPad much more useful if I could actually load in RAW files. Especially since the file picker won’t even let you pick them in Lightroom despite the fact that Lightroom can open them just fine from the share dialogue instead of the browse window.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
I was hoping this (along with RAW support for R5/R6) would come in iOS 14.5, but I guess we’re still waiting… maybe iOS 14.6? Or iOS 15 at this point. Would make the iPad much more useful if I could actually load in RAW files. Especially since the file picker won’t even let you pick them in Lightroom despite the fact that Lightroom can open them just fine from the share dialogue instead of the browse window.
5B0C641A-0DB8-426E-95A8-2C08D7EDD194.png

no problems here loading and editing RAW (.CR3) files from an R5. iPad Pro 11” 2020, iPadOS 14.5, RAWPower 3.2.4.

Last edited:

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
actually iPadOS 14.5 supports Canon .HIF as well as RAW directly. Here are screenshots of 2 photos taken with an R6 and opened in RAWPower for editing (same hard&s oft ware versions as in my previous post, you can download the .CR3 and .HIF files here).
73E3D58B-70B3-4FFF-9AE2-1891B1AED571.png

A519DC4A-6867-4F1F-A28A-F409C9935D44.png

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Looks like it was indeed added in 14.5! The file picker still doesn’t support them though, and it looks like it doesn’t support G5X Mark II’s CR3 either despite the fact that the RAWs from that camera have been supported for a while now. This means I can edit them in apps, but I can’t actually select them in Affinity for a stack or panorama which is unfortunate. I don’t know if this is a limitation of iPadOS or Affinity just not saying that CR3 are acceptable.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Looks like it was indeed added in 14.5! The file picker still doesn’t support them though, and it looks like it doesn’t support G5X Mark II’s CR3 either despite the fact that the RAWs from that camera have been supported for a while now. This means I can edit them in apps, but I can’t actually select them in Affinity for a stack or panorama which is unfortunate. I don’t know if this is a limitation of iPadOS or Affinity just not saying that CR3 are acceptable.
Are you referring to the file selector in Affinity Photo?

of course it allows to select and open R5 and R6 .CR3 directly.

As well as RAWs from the G5X Mark II.

Absolutely no problem.

Actually any app I tried opens these RAWs, even Apple’s Files. At least since the release of iPadOS 14 - probably even 13, but I do not any longer have access to hardware to verify that.

Maybe you should consult the Affinity Photo manual? ?

nota bene: no problems to open these on MacOS too.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I'm having the same problem with Sony HIF. Reading everywhere I found that the only solution so far is to use GIMP app that converts photos easily. Changing extension doesn't do anything in my case, blank file. Maybe because I'm still in Mojave?

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
For Sony HEIF files:

From Sony:

"The functions of HEIF Converter are now integrated into Imaging Edge Desktop (Remote/Viewer/Edit).
Henceforth, please use Imaging Edge Desktop (Remote/Viewer/Edit) to convert HEIF files."
Thanks but doesn't work on Mojave, already tried. So for Mojave users and older system you have the option to use GIMP

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Ah, well, that's the problem then..... Time to think about updating!
I would like to update but if I do it I'm going to miss too much automation I created in Mojave. I'm experimenting on an old MBP but so far GIMP is the easiest solution

Reactions: Clix Pix

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
On Mojave, can you check whether the AppleScript "Image Events" can convert from HEIF to other formats? If so, then it's possible that the 'sips' command can also do that conversion. Either of those might be easier to automate than GIMP (unless (equal you scheme-wizard)).

In a Terminal window, type this:
Code:
sips -H

This runs the 'sips' command and asks it for its builtin help. The output should be a bunch of lines summarizing available image properties and formats. Please drag-select the text in Terminal, then copy and paste to a reply here, because I'm not running Mojave on anything right now.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
On Mojave, can you check whether the AppleScript "Image Events" can convert from HEIF to other formats? If so, then it's possible that the 'sips' command can also do that conversion. Either of those might be easier to automate than GIMP (unless (equal you scheme-wizard)).

In a Terminal window, type this:
Code:
sips -H

This runs the 'sips' command and asks it for its builtin help. The output should be a bunch of lines summarizing available image properties and formats. Please drag-select the text in Terminal, then copy and paste to a reply here, because I'm not running Mojave on anything right now.
I tried few things
First the AppleScript "Image Events" doesn't exist or I couldn't find it
There is an "Image Events" in Core services but doesn't work. I found a Quick Action- created in Automator called "Heic to JPG"
The problem is with the image downloaded from the camera is HIF : no QActions available

If I change it to HEIC, the icon becomes white and the kind is HEIC image and QActions/ Automator- try to convert it but I get an error when I choose "Change type of images" using Preview, standard in Automator
If I use Pixelmator PRO "Change type of images" I don't get the error but the image created is black and small
This is the website where I got the input

If I leave the image with the original HIF, shown as a terminal file though , QActions doesn't do anything at all
Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 4.52.31 PM.jpg

Terminal today accepted the command sips -H 🙄

Those are the strings requested

format string jpeg | tiff | png | gif | jp2 | pict | bmp | qtif | psd | sgi | tga
formatOptions string default | [low|normal|high|best|<percent>] | [lzw|packbits]

GIMP is still the only solution for now.

Last edited:

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I would like to update but if I do it I'm going to miss too much automation I created in Mojave. I'm experimenting on an old MBP but so far GIMP is the easiest solution
More than likely Graphic Converter will work. Why don't you give it a try?

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
If nothing else Graphic Converter will let you change the extension from .hif to .heic on a big block of images in a matter of seconds. Suspect it will also open the files directly. Thorsten also makes legacy versions available for those not running the latest bleeding edge version of Mac OS.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
GC 10 was the first
If nothing else Graphic Converter will let you change the extension from .hif to .heic on a big block of images in a matter of seconds. Suspect it will also open the files directly. Thorsten also makes legacy versions available for those not running the latest bleeding edge version of Mac OS.

I tried but somehow it gets the size of an icon and doesn't go anywhere
Gimp works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.