Import directly to iPhoto?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ManBearWaffle, Nov 19, 2010.

1. ManBearWaffle macrumors member

I'm getting tired of manually managing my photo folders. I'd like to import directly into iPhoto, but I'm afraid that it'll make it harder to switch to another photo manager later on, especially if I switch to something other than Aperture. What should I do?

2. Big Alsie macrumors member

you can always retrieve your photos out of the iphoto database. It even stores originals and modified versions of the photos you make edits to. i say go ahead and use the software. if you dont like it, you can always go back.

3. ManBearWaffle thread starter macrumors member

I know I can retrieve the photos out of iPhoto, but then what happens when I import them into another program? I'd have to reorganize them from the beginning again, right? That would suck.

4. Big Alsie macrumors member

it really depends on the program they would be imported into. the only program that i am 100% sure is compatible is Aperature.

5. ManBearWaffle thread starter macrumors member

I'd consider switching to Aperture in the future, but I don't know if I'll stick with Mac forever. I don't know what will happen in 10+ years. I want my photo management solution to be future-proof. Has anyone tested this with other apps, like Picasa, Lightroom, etc?