Import dslr photos and video into iphoto?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by alainr, Jun 14, 2011.

1. alainr macrumors regular

I started taking videos on my dslr.
    What is the best way to download both photos and videos onto my imac?

i download photos either into iphoto or use bridge--depending on the subject matter.

How do i deal with the videos?
    can i download them into iphoto? and then move the movies to imovie or idvd?

if i want to open the photos in bridge, what do i do about the video?

2. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

I'm not sure about Bridge, but you can import the videos into iPhoto. Once videos are in iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD will let you add them. There's an option to browse iPhoto photos/videos from within the other applications in iLife

3. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

I turned off the auto prompt on my Mac. So when I connect my camera, I open the Application I want to use it in. Plug in your camera - Go to Image Capture - at the corner left of the window change the drop down window to "Do Nothing".

When I connect my camera... I can either open Lightroom 3, Photoshop, Aperture, or iPhoto.

If I'm downloading videos and don't want to use them in any of the Apps, I just use Image Capture and save them in my Documents folder. This way down the road I can just drag them to iPhoto or iMovie as needed. After I move the videos, then I deal with the photos. So then I will open either LR3 or iPhoto.

Its actually faster because videos take more time in the other Apps vs Image capture.