Import from dslr to os x

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by sixkiller, Feb 24, 2016.

1. sixkiller macrumors member

sixkiller

Hey guys, I'm using Premiere CC to edit my footage in. But I've been running into a problem for a while now during import. My mac doesn't recognize my camera, it's a canon 7D. It's not mounting in finder and can't find it in bridge either. but it does show up in System Information though. I've been importing through Lightroom of all things for a while now. Just wondering how you guys import your footage? My memory card reader broke, so I only have my dslr to read cf cards atm.

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Might be time to buy another card reader. Have you checked the App Store for any recent camera support updates?

3. sixkiller thread starter macrumors member

sixkiller

I am running latest versions of everything! Is a memory card really required to import files though? it used to work flawlessly from the camera..

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I have a canon 70D that still imports just fine (FCPX, aperture). Its a lot faster via the SD card reader, however. Are you having any other USB issues?

5. sixkiller thread starter macrumors member

sixkiller

I'm not having any other usb issues. Just this one. But, sometimes my external drives ejects randomly at night. I have no idea why that happens..

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Thats just a USB thing we have all learned to love :) . Sometimes a failing drive or, less often, enclosure will do that. Bad cable perhaps. In fact, if the drive is generating a lot of errors, that could effect other USB devices and Mac performance as the Mac is distracted servicing the error reports.

7. Chung123 macrumors regular

Chung123

Is the camera hooked up directly into your Mac or via a USB hub? Zap the Pram? Maybe install the latest the Canon EOS Utility software? I definitely get a new card reader--I hate the thought of damaging the USB port on a expensive camera.

8. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I never used to pay much attention to people who reported solving USB problems with new cables. Hey, a cable is a cable.

I have a Lexar USB3 card reader that was always a bit weird about connecting, but I lived with it for a couple of years. Then I swapped cables. It's never missed a beat again.

So OP, have you tried another cable?

9. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

I've had SLRs unmount for various unknown reasons in both OSX and Windows. I haven't used anything but a card reader for years. You can buy USB SD readers for like $5 on Ebay.

I import though Lightroom as well to automatically organize footage by year, month, and day, then delete the links from my catalog.

10. sixkiller thread starter macrumors member

sixkiller

I have tried different USB cables, but I doubt that's the reason because I can locate my camera in Lightroom just fine, but not in finder... I've tried resetting Pram as well, nothing seems to be working. Guess I'll have to buy a memory card reader. I just think it's weird, because lightroom seems to be the only program I can use to import. Not even apples own "photos" app works for importing...

11. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

12. sixkiller thread starter macrumors member

sixkiller

Yes I have, and Adobe Bridge, Apple Photos, but it seems like Lightroom is the only thing that finds the camera.