import from DVCPRO HD P2 to imovie 08

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by CEH, Mar 24, 2009.

1. CEH macrumors newbie

ok so I have a DVCPro HD P2 camera. Model #AG-HVX200p. And I want to edit some footage on iMovie 08. I have OS X 10.4.11 on a macbook pro with 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I don't know if you guys need that info butI thought I'd write it anyway.

Because I know I am gonna hear it yes I realize I am using a fancy camera with bundled software...yes I know I should have FCP. But the reality is that I am poor, was given the camera to use, and only have iMovie 08 on my mac. I wanna know if I can edit the footage on my version of iMovie or have to break the bank and buy software I can't afford.

-Am I right in understanding that I can not import from my camera's P2 cards to iMovie?
    -What about from the DV tape deck on the camera to iMovie? And if so can I just dubb the P2 to a tape in the camera and then import it to iMovie?
    -If I got iMovie 09, or OS X 10.5, or both, would I then be able to do it?
    This is way over my head so I don't even know if I am asking the right questions...Is it too high of a definition? If so what if I just record at a lesser definition. I have tried reading other posts but I don't understand them. They speak of co-decs? Don't know what that means. Haha. Sorry guys/gals, I am a loser. But you have always been able to educate me before. Please don't let me down this time. I have to have a project in by thursday and I need to figure this out.

Thanks SOOOOO much everyone!

2. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

If you shot it in HD, you are pretty much screwed and need final cut. iMovie cannot read the MXF files that the Panny records to. FCP has the log and transfer option and you use that to import the footage.

Also, you're mac does not have the DVCPROHD codec installed. You need this to playback the footage, once again, this comes with FCP.

I know the HVX-200 has a DV recorder, but this only works with SD. You should try and see if you can dub the cards onto Mini-DV. Google is your friend on that one. Maybe even try to DL the instruction manual for the camera, that may be a good place to start.

So. If you are a student, you can get FCP from your university bookstore for $499 or Avid Media Composer academic edition for $295, which natively reads MXF files. Pick your poison. Best of luck.

3. CEH thread starter macrumors newbie

chemiosMurphy-thank you....so

Thanks so much for your input. I am looking at the camera and see that I shot the footage at 720P/24PN. Is that high def? I don't even know. You said "if you shot HD you are screwed"....did I? If I didn't, what do I need to do to fix it?

And just so I am getting this right,...When I shoot in the future on this camera on the DV deck I will be able to import my footage from this camera without FCP right? I just can't afford FCP right now.

Thanks so much!! Really you guys rock!

CEH

4. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Yup, 720p is high def. So in order to recover the HD files, you need FCP or Media Composer.

BUT I highly suggest you download the HVX instruction manual to see if you can dub the HD files to a DV tape at SD quality, this might be your save because the camera has a 4 pin firewire port on it.

Good luck.

5. CEH thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much!!

Thanks again!

Yep. I got the manual and found out how to dubb to dv from P2. I did that and from there was able to import to iMovie via firewire. But.....the picture was no horrible! Look ok when sized to about a quarter of my computer screen but when made full screen it is very bad! What do you think caused this? Is it because I am dubbing to DV and then importing to iMovie? Is that much resolution lost in those couple jumps? I mean it looks like a camera took the film now.

You are so much help. Thanks man. Let me know any thoughts you may have.

CEH

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Yes, it is because you are dubbing to DV.

DV is roughly 1/6th the resolution of HD. So you essentially throwing away 80+% of your image.

7. CEH thread starter macrumors newbie

wow. I had no idea that standard def was that bad though. I was shooting 24P on standard definition on a mini DV once I stopped using the P2 cards. Should I have upped it to 30 or 60? Would that have made it clearer? It was just very pixelated and grainy, especially with any fast movements or shots from a distance. I was told to shoot 24P to make it look more "film like."