Import from Rebel T2i to FC Express

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by racketeer71, Jun 23, 2010.

1. racketeer71 macrumors regular

Hi all,

Just bought Final Cut Express for video editing.

I have a Canon Rebel T2i (that's 550D in Europe), that is able to record in a number of HD formats. But unfortunately, neither of the formats seems to match the formats available in FCE.

What can I do?

I normally shoot in 1280x720 with 50fps, but am willing to change if need be (preferably upwards).

How should I go about importing movies into FCE?

Please note: I normally take full backups of the raw movies, so when I import into FCE it is from a file on the disk and not directly read from the camera.

Best regards, and thanks in advance,

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

How do you import them?

You know, those DSLRs shoot video using the H264 codec, which is not really what editing applications accept. You need to convert your footage to .mov files using the Apple Intermediate Codec via MPEG Streamclip.

3. handsome pete macrumors 68000

FCE should accept any of the frame rate and resolutions that the t2i shoots. What it won't like is the h264 as already mentioned. You will need to convert to something like ProRes or AIC.

4. avidmacuser macrumors regular

avidmacuser

Greetings,
    I am uncertain to what you mean by 'raw movies' - As far as I am aware the T2i records movies to a compressed format known as H264. Although it can be a decent quality compression format, it is 'lossy compression' (not RAW by any sense of the word) and often but not always undesirable for any substantial post processing. You may need to convert your compressed media to another format thats preferred by your video editing software and hence subject to your output / rendering requirements.

best wishes with your projects.

5. avidmacuser macrumors regular

avidmacuser

As far as I know '.mov' is the encapsulation method (or container if you will) and H264 is the compression format used for the media within the .mov files produced by the T2i. Correct me if I'm wrong.

6. racketeer71 thread starter macrumors regular

First of all: Thanks for the quick replies!

The so-called "raw movie" from the camera has the following specs according to Quicktime Inspector:

Format: H.264, 1280 x 720, Millions - Linear PCM, 16 bit little-endian signed integer, 2 channels, 48000 Hz

FPS: 50
    Data size: 824,2MB
    Data rate: 47,31Mbit/s
    Current size: 1280x720 pixels (Actual)

But now I know H.264 is no good for FCE. So I downloaded MPEG Streamclip, and tried to "Export AVI" and selected "Apple FCP Uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2" which creates a file of a whopping 12,85GB. I also tried exporting with "Apple Intermediate Codec", which creates a file 797MB file.

But both these files, when dragged into FCE results in an error that the format of the video is not optimal for FCE or something like that.

It seems I'm able to work with them, though?

I presume "Apple FCP Uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2" is recommendable?

I am by the way not doing any "serious" stuff, only home videos. I am happy though, that I went for the i7 MBP and just ordered 8GB of RAM :)

7. advres Guest

advres

No you don't want to work uncompressed. You want to transcode to quicktime using mpeg streamclip to Apple Pro Res, same dimensions, same frame rate. I use compressor but that comes with FCS.

It's my career, trust me.

8. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Assuming I'm not misreading your comments and barking up the wrong tree, it's worth me pointing out that there are no prizes for pedantry on this forum. At least I don't think there are. If there are, let me know and I'll get to work.

He's using Express, so it needs to be Apple Intermediate Codec.

9. advres Guest

advres

You can't use Pro Res in FCE? Wow, didn't know that. Pretty lame. [/Open mouth, insert foot] OK, so yes Keith is right about AIC but my point still stands that you do not want to use uncompressed.

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Did I write anything else?
    I just didn't mention, that the QT container (.mov) was used to encapsulate the video using the H264 codec, I just said, that the codec is H264 and not meant for editing.

As I wrote before, use the .mov container, not the .avi container. As codec use the Apple Intermediate Codec, not Apple FCP Uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2, as that is overkill, especially for home use.

In short: .mov instead of .avi, Apple Intermediate Codec instead of Apple FCP Uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2.

11. avidmacuser macrumors regular

avidmacuser

You probably did 'read' my comments correctly. Its the 'interpretation' of my comments that perhaps have not carried its original meaning or intent with them to every reader. Hopefully my efforts to help will be of benefit to all in one way or another. cheers. :)

12. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Oh, I was using the consensus definition of 'misread', which is obviously synonymous with 'misinterpret'. Do you have your own definition?

13. ClivePwned macrumors member

14. advres Guest

advres

I haven't used that but I personally like using Compressor so it leaves FCP alone and I can still get mild work done while the clips are transcoding. My $.02

15. hromero macrumors newbie

Import Rebel T2i to FC Express

I´m mac User and i use StreamClip to convert the T2i .mov files with Apple Intermediate Codec. I edit in Final Cut Express. Before reading about this software, was very difficult to use, because every time I made a change had to do a render, now with this trick it’s much easier. (1080p/25fps), now I can edit my videos without problems.

Use the Apple Intermediate Codec to Comvert your files using MPEG StreamClip. All your videos will run smooth in FCE.

Blessings