Import HDV into FCP with no firewire

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Krio, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Krio macrumors member

Hi all,
    Made the jump a while ago to FCP and need some advice. I have fcp 6 and an HDV camcorder with HDSD memory and no firewire so I can't import anything straight from the camera. I could use any advice as to what I need to convert the raw mp4 files my camcorder saves as in order to import them into FCP. I have used compressor to change the format dozens of times only to keep getting the "FCP can't read this file type" or "wrong file type" error no matter what I set FCP to. I don't care how long it takes to crunch, I just need to get the vids from HDV.mp4 via import into fcp.
    Thanks!

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What is the model number of the camera?

Lethal

3. Krio thread starter macrumors member

4. Krio thread starter macrumors member

Anybody importing into FCP rather than capturing with any tips?:eek:

5. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

The HMX-10 captures H.264 on the SD card. Have you tried connecting a USB cable to the camera with the card in it and turned on (as per the manual) and using Log and Capture in FCP?

6. Krio thread starter macrumors member

Log and capture does not work through usb as the camera can't take playback commands.

I just found a setting in compressor though and got it to match up with fcp...so I'm good.:D

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think martinX meant "Log and Transfer." Log and Capture is used for tape capture where as Log and Transfer is used to pull media off cameras that use solid state storage and transcode it into a codec FC likes (typically ProRes).

Lethal

8. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

Why would you capture when it's already in a native apple format.

Just copy the files over to your hard drive and open them up in FCP. If the camera hasn't got a USB or Firewire you'll need some sort of card reader.

Do you have anew macbook pro or Imac?

Otherwise buy a card reader

9. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Sorry, I did mean "Log and Transfer". Momentary lapse due to post-prandial caffeine deficiency.

h.264 isn't a native editing format for iMovie/FCE/FCP. In addition, to being picky about what it imports, FCE can be picky about how it imports material (I haven't tried HD on my FCP Mac just my FCE Mac) and Log and Transfer from the camera is the only way - it will convert to AIC or ProRes along the way.

Alternatively you can copy the files over and use one of the many converters available (ClipWrap, Voltaic and others) to convert the files to AIC (or ProRes if you have FCP installed)

They ALL have one or the other. My 5-year old son's camera has one. :)

Log and Transfer, the :apple: way. Here we go. Chapter 4.

I am assuming that FCP will treat the Samsung file like regular AVCHD - I did read on a site (camcorderinfo.com) that it uses h.264 instead of AVCHD, but I'm not sure of the difference. Have a go.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Editing in H.264 in FCP is like running a marathon in flip-flops. Sure you can do it but your life will be much easier if you put on a pair of running shoes instead. ;)

Lethal

11. Krio thread starter macrumors member

Ah, will see if I can get log and transfer to work next time I have the camcorder. All I have atm is the actual files copied from the camcorder and I couldn't get them to import as the .mp4 they are saved as.

No, I'm chugging along with a 08 Macbook with 2.4 dual core with a card reader if I'm not pulling them straight off the camcorder via mini usb.

Thanks for all the info. What I finally ended up getting to work was converting them from the HDV50.mp4 files to HDV30.mov and fcp finally would import them without swapping out the sound for a beep every second.

I'll figure out the easy way to do all of this someday...lol.

12. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

The beep means "unrendered audio", or audio in a format that doesn't match the sequence settings. I used to convert some files (WMVs, MPEG2 etc) to raw .dv via MPEG Streamclip and bring them into FCP for editing and be always having those hassle :( Finally got smart and converted them to MOVs with a DV codec - exactly the same thing and quality but it was in a form that FCP was made to handle. Now I am :)

And then they'll change it :D