Import into iWeb? How?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by flyfish29, Jun 25, 2007.

1. flyfish29, Jun 25, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

So I created a portfolio online using iWeb on an iBook. I have it published on .Mac. I am changing jobs and have to turn in my ibook and don't want to lose my work. I need to know how I can get my iWeb created web site into iWeb on my iMac at home?

(How many i's can I type in a paragraph?!?!)

I have searched the help, online and tried several options. I tried publishing it to a folder on my iBook, copied it to the iMac but can't find a way to import it into my iWeb on my iMac.

Please help!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Look for a file named Domain in the iWeb folder within your Home folder's Application Support folder. This file contains all of your iWeb site.

3. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Found it- thanks- so I assume if I copy that file and put it in the same folder on my imac it should open up ok? Seems weird that you can't import a web page to edit.
    thanks again

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Correct.

I actually believe that double clicking the Domain file (no matter its location) will open it in iWeb for editing ...but I'm unsure about the specifics of this method.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

EricNau is right, assuming your iWeb is up to date. :)

6. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

So it worked like a charm! Thanks!

My next question is this- what if I had created a site in iWeb on my iMac and another page on my ibook?

What would I have done then to not lose one of them?

In my case right now I just deleted the domain file on my iMac since I had not used it to create a page and then I replaced it with my copy of the domain file from my iBook.

Just curious what I would have had to do...

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, in a similar fashion to iTunes and iPhoto, you can have multiple databases (Domain files). You can select which library to use by holding OPTION as you open iWeb. Alternatively, just double click on the appropriate Domain file. I'm still not sure if merging Domain files is possible though. :)

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Is it possible to open up two sites at once (in two separate windows) and then click and drag one page from one window to the other. :confused:

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't think it is. I don't know how to open two sites simultaneously. iWeb is still quite new so I live in hope that it'll be possible someday (if not already). :eek:

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

OK, I've done some experimenting...

Apparently its not possible to open to Domain files simultaneously.

Also, if you double click a Domain file that is not in the default location, iWeb will continue to use that file in that location every time you launch iWeb. ...If you move that file, the next time you launch iWeb it will ask you to locate a Domain file or create a new one.

Also, holding the option key didn't work for me. :confused:

After my "experimenting" it almost seems like it would be less confusing if iWeb placed the Domain files in the user's Documents folder, and created a new Domain file for every site (and could open two or more Domain files simultaneously).

11. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Ok, I agree- woudl be nice if you could have different domain files for each site. Probably the next revision will see this I would think. Thanks for researching into this for me- just good to know how it all works.

Thanks!

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Were you opening the app directly or were you clicking on a shortcut such as the Dock icon?

Well, they've come a long way from when they started. Originally the iWeb Domain file could only be kept in its original location and would only work from this location, meaning two Domain files were difficult to handle because the user had to keep shuffling them about through Finder.

Well technically you can have two Domain files. In fact, you can have more than two... However data cannot easily be transferred between them.

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I tried both directly and the dock icon. :confused:

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Eep. You're right. I swear I had it working before. Sorry mate, I'm more mad than I thought. :eek:

15. longjon6ft9 macrumors newbie

Importing downloaded site without domain file

Hi All

After seeing this thread I hold some hope that there may be some way to import a website into iweb. My issue is slightly different though.

I have did a website on iweb on my powerbook and uploaded it to the internet not through my mobile me account but used cyberduck.

My computer hard drive then died a horrible death and couldn't retrieve anything. I now have a new hard drive in my macbook but none of the info. I have been able to download all the files from the web again using cyberduck to a file on my desk top. If there anyway that I can use this in iweb. Or will I have to start again from scratch.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Kind regards

Jon

16. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You will have to start from scratch. There is no way to import into iWeb.

17. longjon6ft9 macrumors newbie

Fair enough

Thanks very much. I thought that that would be the case but I thought I would ask incase someone knew a trick of the trade.

Thanks very much for letting me know anyway

Kind regards

jon

18. BaldGuy, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2011

BaldGuy macrumors newbie

similar situation

Hello all. This is an excellent thread. Thanks for the information.

As I'm recently changing jobs and my site was created on my previous macbook pro, will I simply have to get my old IT folks to retrieve my domain files from my previous computer, install them in the domain files on my new computer and then open iweb to continue updating my site?

Thanks.

BaldGuy.

I'll have a couple other questions on why a couple things aren't working as I'd expected once I get access to my files again.

19. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well not "install," just copy the file. You can double-click the file and have it open in iWeb.

20. BaldGuy macrumors newbie

Thanks Angelwatt.

My IT fella did in fact send me the domain file. I copied it to the library via the directions in iweb help. Sure enough it's just fine.

I'll re-edit that bad boy pretty soon to clear up a couple of issues. Those issues are:

1. The arrow at the bottom of page one does not function properly via firefox. I'm not sure about the other browsers. But oddly enough it works just fine on my iphone.

2. On my WORK pages, the QT controls show up, but don't work on the bottom quicktimes on the page. They don't work even in iweb. However if you double click on the video window it's functional.

I'd like to clean those up. Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks for the advice regarding getting my old file to work. Again. Excellent thread here.

BaldGuy