Import iTunes Library for streaming on Spotify Mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by savestheday, Jul 20, 2011.

1. savestheday macrumors newbie

Love this feature in RDIO but can't figure out how to do this in Spotify premium. It's a deal breaker for me. I love Spotify's increased library but if I can't get at my music, then it's useless to me.

I've looked here and none of these solutions are what I'm looking for:
    http://www.spotify.com/us/about/spotify-on-the-web/playlist-converters/

I think the only solution would be to create one master playlist (I don't use playlists normally) with all 40k tracks but that doesn't seem right does it?

Anyone know a good way to do this? Thanks!

2. honeytoast macrumors regular

You cannot upload your tracks to Spotify for streaming on the go. It will match your iTunes library with Spotify's catalog and add any tracks that they do not currently have rights to for local play. To play them on the go you have to sync playlists or artists to your iPhone over wifi.

3. savestheday thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks honeytoast, that was exactly what I was looking for. I didn't want to upload what I have I just wanted to be able to stream what they could match. Didn't know you had to sync over wifi to do this. Thanks much!

4. honeytoast macrumors regular

5. savestheday thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn I just noticed that this will only sync for offline playback.

http://www.spotify.com/us/help/faq/mobile/#sync-your-device-with-spotify

I really just want it to match what I have and stream it to me. Kind of like iTunes match but with streaming. RDIO does this beautifully but I want spotify's larger catalog.

6. JohnsonVision macrumors newbie

I wanted the same...the best solution I came up with was making a playlist with my whole iTunes library and what songs are in the spotify database I can stream and the ones that aren't I'm slowly going thru and making them local on my phone. So its a a good mix of having access to my whole library without using all my phone's memory.

Now I may individually make the separate playlists for the individual artists to organize it better...

7. nigelquest macrumors member

How do you do this in Rdio? I dont see how to sync or stream my tracks that arent on the service.

8. LoganT macrumors 68020

You can import local files into Spotify. Then you open the Spotify application on your iPhone and it will sync your local files over WIFI. First thing you need to do is go to iTunes and uncheck "Sync Music", as it doesn't make sense to have your local files in Spotify and a your local files on your iPod app.

9. LoganT macrumors 68020

You can't.

10. nigelquest macrumors member

I didnt think so but it seemed like the OP was saying they were able to do that in Rdio.

11. LoganT macrumors 68020

In Rdio you download an application to your Mac and it will scan your iTunes library. It will then find the correlating audio track on Rdio. You are streaming the song from Rdio, not your local files. It's for people who never want to leave Rdio.

12. Mobile923 macrumors 6502

I'm hoping for iPod Library Access/integration in a future update. I'm not too keen on re-syncing my iTunes music into an app... increasing its cache when it's perfectly there already in the memory.

If I did an offline playlist of 3k songs in the Spotify app, my iPhone backup would eat the SSD of my Macbook.

13. engaged44 macrumors member

what i did was create a playlist of my whole entire library. hopefully it works.

14. LoganT macrumors 68020

Yeah, I did the same thing.