Import Mailboxes Mountain Lion to Sierra

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by bigbadger51, Mar 13, 2017.

1. bigbadger51 macrumors newbie

Hard disk failed which was running Mountain Lion but fortunately have a copy of the disk on external drive. Installed MacSierra on new drive and setup the email account. So far so good. Now I had a load of locally stored mailboxes but dont know how I can import them into Sierra. Obviously Migration Assistant isn't possible so need to know if it is possible to recover the info and the steps I need to take. If I just import mailboxes I assume they are not in the correct format? I have six years of locally stored info so desperate to get that back!! Any guidance appreciated Thanks

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Sierra's mail app should import without any issue.

3. bigbadger51 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - but which folders do I need to Import - what should the path name be to import? I really dont want to muck up the mail that I currently have although desperate to get the old stuff back. Thanks

4. chrfr macrumors 603

Apple has documented this. https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22318

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Make a backup first, so you don't have to worry about mucking anything up. The old MBOX files should be in /Users/{username}/Library/Mail/V2/

6. bigbadger51 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - but which folders do I need to Import - what should the path name be to import? I really dont want to muck up the mail that I currently have although desperate to get the old stuff back. Thanks
    Thanks will give it a go this afternoon.