Import .mov HD files into FCE

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BSquare, Feb 9, 2010.

1. BSquare macrumors newbie

What's the best way to import .mov HD files into FCE 4.0?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

.mov is only a container for a couple of codecs like H264 or Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) or ProRes, so if it is one of the latter, or a codec suited for editing, something H264 is not meant for, just use the right sequence settings and use the Import dialog.

If you have the manual of FCE at hand, you will find it answers many questions. To find that manual go to FCE > Menu Bar > Help > Manual or download it via the Apple site.

Btw, are those .mov files saved on your HDD or are they coming via a camera?

3. BSquare thread starter macrumors newbie

Import .mov HD files into FCE

HDD. I tried changing the sequence settings to no avail. I understand from the HDD manufacturer, Focus Enhancements, that FCE doesn't support the necessary codec, while FCP 6.0 and above does. I had just hoped there was some sort of converter available.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What codec are you talking about? As I said before, .mov is only a container for a couple of codecs.

What do you mean by HDD manufacturer? HDD as in Hard Disk Drive? What does a HDD mass producer have to do with codecs?

Focus Enhancements sells DTEs for field productions, which seem to use a variety of codecs, which, depending on what kind of DTE you have, can be set in combination with the file suffix. .mxf is for Avid for example.

So what DTE do you use and what codec do the store video files use?