Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
United States
Initially I would like to import some downloaded music using iTunes from Windows - then use Amazon Music on the iPhone to purchase music and download to the iPhone. Will the two separate imports/downloads of music play well together?

And will I need to use the Amazon Music player to listen to all?

My intent is to eliminate the use of iTunes for music import.

Much thanks.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I'm not too familiar with Amazon, but this is what I know about iTunes.

- If you want your music to be playable on the stock music app on your iPhone, you have to transfer them through iTunes.
- If you purchase music from Amazon, I think they are in DRM free MP3 format. If that's the case, just download them and import them to your iTunes library, and then transfer them to your iPhone via iTunes.
- if you want to download straight from Amazon to your iPhone, then I believe you can only use Amazon's app. The music there won't be available on the stock music app.

These syncing back n forth of traditional digital music is what made me subscribe to Spotify. Spotify doesn't have all the music I want, but at least it saved me the headache of consolidating my digital music library.

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
United States
I'm not too familiar with Amazon, but this is what I know about iTunes.

- If you want your music to be playable on the stock music app on your iPhone, you have to transfer them through iTunes.
- If you purchase music from Amazon, I think they are in DRM free MP3 format. If that's the case, just download them and import them to your iTunes library, and then transfer them to your iPhone via iTunes.
- if you want to download straight from Amazon to your iPhone, then I believe you can only use Amazon's app. The music there won't be available on the stock music app.

These syncing back n forth of traditional digital music is what made me subscribe to Spotify. Spotify doesn't have all the music I want, but at least it saved me the headache of consolidating my digital music library.

Thank you for your reply. I have found some IOS apps that connect to cloud services, ie Google Drive - using the apps integrated music player, music can be streamed or downloaded on an iPhone. I am currently testing one on an Android tablet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.