Import old computer's iTunes library to new computer, not all songs found

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by agmetal, Dec 8, 2009.

1. agmetal macrumors member

I have all my music on an external HD that I've used for a few years. I told my old computer (1GHz TiBook G4 with Tiger) to export my iTunes library, which it did, as a .xml file. Then, I opened that file on my new iMac, and only about 1/5 of the songs were found, apparently. This doesn't make sense to me, as the iMac is connected to the HD when I import the old library. If it makes a difference, the TiBook was NOT connected to the HD when I exported the library. I have the two computers networked together via Ethernet right now, though.

Any idea how I can fix this problem?

2. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Instead of exporting .xml, I would copy the whole iTunes folder from the PowerBook to the iMac. Then open the "iTunes Library" file inside this folder. If this is stored externally as well, connect the HD to the iMac, find this file and open it. That's all there is to it. :)

3. agmetal thread starter macrumors member

4. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

5. teetosh macrumors newbie

Transferring iTunes library to new HD

I had my hard drive with all my tunes and video die on me. I have gotten a new drive and have pointed iTunes to the new location. When I start iTunes the old tunes are still listed but with a grayed out exclamation point because it can't locate the original file.

Once I drag whatever files I do have left to the new drive will iTunes stop looking for these ghosts of iTunes past?

6. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Wouldn't it be easier to start with a blank iTunes window?

To do that: Quit iTunes, drag both the iTunes Music Library.xml file and the iTunes library file to the trash and start iTunes.

Then you can start importing your music.