import quality imovie 8 vs FCE HD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by peejer, Jun 20, 2008.

1. peejer macrumors member

I just bought FCE HD. Know almost nothing about the program, just started to play with it today and will begin Pro Training next week at my local Apple store.

I noticed that the files I imported into FCE today look sharper and frankly better than what they look like in Imov 8. I am using a Cannon Elura 100 and the clips are shot outdoors in the sun.

I ran them side by side and again I felt the video in FCE to be of better quality. Even though it is the same clip? Am I making this up? Or is there something here, that in my newbe-ness, I don't understand.

Also I know that exporting video in Imovie 8 produces poor quality images. Why doesn't this happen in FCE?

Looking forward to your insights.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes, there is something that you don't understand. iMovie and FCE are editors, not players. You are judging the two as players. An editor plays a video well enough for the user to preview the production. If you want to view the production, then use the QuickTime player.

If iMovie is exporting poor quality video, then you are using poor quality settings.

3. peejer thread starter macrumors member

Very helpful tip for re: player vs. editor. Never thought of it that way.

Most of the video I have shot in the past I have uploaded to my website. Used to do this via Imovie 6. In Imovie 8 I am using the share option. I see the option to export as a quicktime movie. Would this be better?

Do you have any suggestions as to better video export settings?