Import SMS from Nokia dumbphone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fabian9, Jan 29, 2012.

1. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

My mom just got herself an iPhone and she would love to import some of her old treasured messages from her Nokia dumbphone to her new baby.

So far I have come across an app called iNoki which will let her access a backup file from her Nokia phone... Unfortunately there is no way to add those messages from the Nokia backup file to the messages.app.

Does anybody know where iOS stores messages, and if it would be possible to add messages to this database somehow?

2. fabian9 thread starter macrumors 65816

fabian9

Right, so I've had a go at this this morning and thought I'd post back with the information that I found in case anybody stumbles across this thread in the future.

Nokia makes a PC connection software, which lets you take a backup of your phones contents and store it on your PC.

Following this, I used a small app called NBU explorer to convert the messages to CSV.

The iPhone stores SMS in a file called SMS.db, which is located at var/Mobile/Library/SMS. this file is a SQL database, which can be opened with suitable software after SSHing into that location. I haven't tried this yet because I haven't got my mom's phone at the moment and don't want to jailbreak mine.

The theory is to access this file and try to the old Nokia messages by adding more entries to the database file.

Will post back later once I have tried this... If anybody else has got any experience with this let me know please!

3. numlock macrumors 68000