import Sony mini-dv to MacBook Air

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jc56, Sep 29, 2009.

1. jc56 macrumors newbie

Sony mini-dv camcorder is easily imported into windows by a firewire. My new MacBook Air is my first Mac. Apparently it doesn't have a firewire port. Is there any way to import the video into IMovie?

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Sorry, there really is no way to do this. Does the MBA have an Express Card slot? If so, then you can use a ExpressCard Firewire adapter.

Otherwise, you'll need a Mac with FW.

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Unfortunately, no. This was one of my big peeves about Apple's recent decisions to remove Firewire from some of their products (starting with the Air and the first unibody MacBook).

I presume the decision was made as an artificial differentiator between the consumer and "pro" lines (e.g. if you want Firewire, you have to buy the pro machines). Steve Jobs justified it on stage with, "All the latest HD cameras use USB now anyway!" Which is true, but that leaves out many of us who are NOT on the cutting edge of technology. It's all well and good if you're buying a new MacBook Air AND a brand new HD camcorder, but for those of us who have existing DV camcorders, some of which were are very high quality and very expensive, we're not happy to be told that the answer is to replace the equipment.

Anyway, that is a bit of a dead horse that was all hashed out in other threads already.

The bottom line is that you'll have to capture the video using another computer -- either a Mac or a PC -- using Firewire. Store the data on an external hard drive and copy it over to the Air, and you'll be able to import the clips into iMovie.

The good news is that it doesn't take much horsepower for a Mac or PC to do this. A G4 Mac, or a Pentium II-class PC, is all you need, so you would probably have little trouble finding a capable machine.

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Heck, even a 300 to 400 mhz G3 can import DV easily. A nice machine to do this duty would be a G3 white iBook.