Import .tif picture into FinalCut Express

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Eauripik.jk, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Eauripik.jk macrumors newbie

Hi,

My question is very simple: How can I import a .tif picture into a Final Cut Express project?

I've finished an edition and the last thing I need to do is to add our logo to the credits, but I cannot find the way to import the tiff file, it generates an error window.

Thank you for your help!:D

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Chapter 15, page 214 of the FCE manual did not help?

What kind of error message do you get, what version of QuickTime and FCE are you using?

Can you convert the .tif to another format via Preview?

3. Eauripik.jk thread starter macrumors newbie

It says:

"
    File Error: 1 file(s) recognized, 0 access denied, 1 unknown.
    [OK]
    "

Well, I haven't checked the manual. I will.

It's Final Cut Express 4.0.1 and QuickTime 7.6.4.

I don't know exactly what you mean, but I have changed file's name, typing .jpg at the end, and it solves nothing, cos it seems it's not recognized as a jpg picture.

Thank you!

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can't simply change a file format by changing the suffix from .tif to .jpg.
    (You can't make a .mov out of a .wmv that way.)

Open the .tif in Preview, a Mac OS X application, go to File > Save AS and select another image file format like .jpg for example.

5. Eauripik.jk thread starter macrumors newbie

I've done it, and I successfully changed the picture format, and now I'm allowed to import it in .jpg. But my problem just changed :s

I do can import it, but I needed it to be a tif image cos it was a pic formed by letters and a logo, which could be pasted on the background... Now I have a jpg pic which has a weird colour background where it should be the black background of the credits. Did I explain myself?

The fact is that if I change it to jpg, it loses its characteristics, so I can't use it v.v
    Any idea??

Sorry and thank you so much

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So you need the Alpha channel embedded into the .tif file I think.

FCE allows .tif import, but I don't know if it allows Alpha channels, have a look at the manual, I don't have it with me right now.
    If FCE does not like .tif files with Alpha channels, that might be the reason the import is failing.

If FCE allows masks or Alpha channeling via two images, you could once save the .tiff as an image, and once save the Alpha channel, but you need more than Preview for that, something like Photoshop, or maybe Gimp can help you opening the original .tif, saving the image as a .jpg and the Alpha channel as a .jpg.

But take a look at what the FCE manual has to say about masks and Alpha channels.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

8. Eauripik.jk thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly, that's it, the alpha channel, that's what I meant.

Yeah, problem must be the Alpha Channel itself, but I have imported the image in .jpg and Photoshop (it is another option in the Save As menu of Preview), and they both have the Alpha option switched on, but then, each one has a different final result when I put it in the videoline... On of them is totally black, the other has colors behind...

Photoshop or Gimp, OK. I'll try to get one of those.
    Ok, I'll check the manual. It can be found on the net, I presume...

LetahlWolfe, I don't know .PNG, I looked for it in Preview but it does not appear as an option...

Thank you!

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Gimp is free, and PS has a 30 day trial.

The FCE manual can be found via Menu Bar > Help > Manual, all this in FCE of course.

10. Eauripik.jk thread starter macrumors newbie

11. knello macrumors member

knello

The source of your problem is that the TIFF file is using a CMYK color mode. Final Cut supports TIFF, but only in RGB mode. As mentioned, Photoshop and Gimp can correct it.