Importance of L2 cache on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MowingDevil, Sep 30, 2008.

1. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I've been hearing that the amount of L2 cache these days can be potentially more important than the clock speed of the CPU. If so, according to this page
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Buying_a_MacBook_versus_MacBook_Pro
    The entry level 15" Pro has 3mb of L2 cache while the mid level & 17" both have 6mb. Does this make a huge difference? I initially purchased the entry machine because I didn't need the extra video power and quite frankly 100mhz difference wasn't worth the money to me. That said, I wasn't aware of the difference in teh L2 cache. How much a difference will this make, in particular with the recording of audio & running Logic etc?
    thanks

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've overclocked quite a few 1 MB L2 Pentium Dual Core processors and I've found clock speed to be more important for me.

It still depends on what applications you're using. Sadly I don't know off hand which applications those are.

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

depends on the task at hand, cache is basically mini hi-speed ram located on the cpu die, its where the CPU stores info being processed at that paticular moment, different tasks use it differently

clockspeed is important, but when you're only talking 100mhz twice the cache could see a decent improvement

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

L2 cache is important in the sense that it is faster than RAM therefore when you do repetitive actions such as video encoding and such it will be a bit faster, but overall it doesn't do squat. CPU clock is still more important; when Intel phases out the FSB for on-board memory controller, L2 cache will be even less important.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

which is why on i7 its almost non-existant, only 128k i think? replaced with slower, but larger L3