Importance of RAM for my Macbook pro needs...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by moortw, Aug 6, 2007.

1. moortw macrumors newbie

Hello all-

I've been in the market for a Macbook pro for about 2 years now, and am finally biting the bullet to buy (either the expanded 15" or 17" models. Can't decide quite yet). My question is about the default 2 GB of RAM in the models. I hear that 2 GB is fine for most users, but I plan on using this machine to run many graphics programs, particularly Adobe CS3, Final Cut Pro, potentially Maya, and After Effects. While I don't envision trying to cram all programs to run simultaneously, I would like them to work with a minimal amount of lagging.

Would the 4 GB RAM expansion really be optimal in my case?

Also, does anyone else have any advice of other modifications might be beneficial for a graphics heavy user? I'm willing to shell out the extra dough for a maching that doesn't become obsolete in a year.

Thanks

-moortw (Art Student Extraordinaire)

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

The mid-high tier MBPs should be perfect for your tasks. If you're planning on being such a heavy user, an upgrade to 4GBs (which should cost you under $200) will be highly beneficial. As for graphics, there's really no real upgrade you can go for, but as an art student you might want to invest in the largest hard drive you can get, or a nice external drive.

I've had my MBP for about three weeks, and I've used half my space so far from fraps & related work.

3. moortw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Would you suggest getting the extra Mac certified RAM at the time of purchase, or purchasing the base machine, getting some third party RAM, and then installing it yourself? 2 extra GB at the mac store is about $675, but I heard from people that it's overpriced, even though it's Mac approved.

-mooretw

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

You'll pay a big premium buying RAM from Apple...

...I still do.

I like that if anything goes wrong I have just one point of contact - Apple - and the quality of RAM that Apple uses in their systems has, for me, been remarkably good. Again, for me, I have found having Apple RAM factory installed (or even bought in an Applestore and added by hand afterwards as in the case of my Mac Pro) has resulted in an excellent experience.

You need to appreciate that you can easily buy RAM for less elsewhere, though. It's not an option for the budget conscious.

A BTO 2.4GHz MacBook Pro sounds right up your street.

5. chex macrumors regular