Important Activation Question with iPhone 4S!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wickerman1893, Nov 2, 2011.

1. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

Okay guys so I was dealing with this problem all last night and ATT and their amazing (sarcasm) service failed to help me AT ALL!

I ordered an iPhone 4S for a cross upgrade with my brothers line. So yesterday we got the phone and nothing seemed to work because the lady at ATT had us change the number too early so we can't get past activation because it is the wrong number that matches up. We already tried to restore a brand new version of the OS but that didn't work. What I want to know is if there is some possible way to get around the initial activation process that requires the number initiated for the phone and the number on the sim card. Or something that will reset that activation number on the phone.

If you have any ideas please let me know! Thanks a lot!

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

Your best bet is to try to go to an AT&T store.

3. wickerman1893 thread starter macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

Just tried that and they couldn't do anything :(

4. dave420 macrumors 65816

This seems to be a common problem. Not sure why so many people have this problem. I did an upgrade swap and it turned out fine. I activated the phone out of the box, then swapped the sims. No calls to AT&T or anything. I could see it requiring a trip to the AT&T store if the new sim for the line the upgrade was on then required a different size sim card.

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

With all due respect this is a customer problem. AT&T does "upgrade swaps" as a huge percentage of their business. The users that fail to prepare by educating themselves as to what their responsibility is, are the only ones crying.

I've done several and they are super easy taking no more time than a regular activation.

(edit) sim swapping is not required contrary to what people here say. Why someone would want to complicate the process is beyond me.