*Important for MP w/ 8800 owners/games

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by k1037, Feb 15, 2008.

1. k1037 macrumors newbie

Just wanted to post this for anyone else who's happily installing and copying things on their shiny new mac pro with 8800 and decides to open up a game.. so they can avoid my initial experience.

While I had a bunch of things installing, I decided to open up World of Warcraft and see if it looked pretty on my new display, esp since I'd been playing with most settings on minimum on my old computer.

So of course I dive in and set all settings to max, reload it.. and.... NINE frames per second. Ouch. I set the settings to be more modest, and... 12 frames per second. Needless to say, I was more than a little disappointed.

I'd installed everything, even done the 10.5.2 update and reboot.

What I'd missed was... Apple decided to be idiots and have the 10.5.2 Graphics Update separate from the 10.5.2 Update.. but not only that, the graphics update won't even show until after you've installed 10.5.2 and restarted and then run Software Update again (else you'll wait a week til it checks automatically).

After the Graphics update? All settings max (minus the multi-samples), and 90 FPS on 2560x1600 resolution. Sweet!

So... run Software Update, get 10.5.2 and all other things installed. Restart, run Software Update again.. have it install the Graphics Update. Restart, and enjoy!

2. elvisizer macrumors 6502

6800? guh?
    pro's ship with ati 2600's or nvidia 8800gt's. did you mean the 8800gt?
    :confused:

3. k1037 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ack! Yeah, brain fart.

I'll fix it.. thanks!

4. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

He must be, coz id lol when a 6800 runs WoW at full settings 90 FPS.

5. DWS macrumors member

Thanks for the heads up.

6. mmccaskill macrumors 6502

I say that is a fantastic move by Apple. Now, graphic driver updates can be pushed out faster, and without having to make a minor OS release.

7. aLoC macrumors 6502a

One of the advantages of Mac OS X over Linux is that software developers can just say to users "You need OS X 10.5.2." On Linux they have to give a big long list of patches.

Apple is ruining this advantage because now software boxes will have to Say "OS X 10.5.2 + Leopard graphics update + Keyboard update 2.1 + Safari update 2008-02, ..." Consumers don't need that crap.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

With nVidia's acquisition of the PhysX people and the impending PhysX support update for 8000 series cards, will we see the love for OS X?

9. OnePumpChump macrumors regular

OnePumpChump

That'd be mighty nice!