Important iMac G5 RAM question!!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macgeek77, Apr 12, 2007.

1. macgeek77 macrumors regular

I recently got a gig of ram for my iMac g5. However, when I went to put it in, I was not sure how to put it in the right way. The first way was wrong, but I didn't push it in that hard. When i thought i found the right way for it to go in, it did not make it obvious of it was seated correctly or not. So i REALLY pushed it in, then took it out (because I was not sure if I was doing it right). Anyway, the processs of putting it in and out and pushing it hard once it was in continued for a while. One time, when ejecting it, one side came out and one side did not. Then I heard a faint cracking sound. However, when I finally felt comfortable, sealed everything up and rebooted. The iMac found the RAM and works MUCH faster!!

I just wanted to know if anyone thought I damaged anything with the computer or the RAM. I don't suppose it is possible to damage the RAM and have some MB shaved off as a result? Thanks for any help!:apple: :apple:

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, it's hard to say when you haven't seen the motherboard, but when you slot in those cards, it does happen that you hear creaking noises, and getting both sides of the memory module to fit in can be hard... so I'm guessing you are just fine.

3. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

It would be really shocking to have something crack, work, then develop into a problem later. My guess; MAYBE you damaged a mount of some sort. Nothing to be concerned with on a desktop.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Be straight with us, were you installing RAM or having sex for the first time? :D