Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
iPhone didn't seem to be supporting all countries on the caller ID list.

For example, if the phone is being used locally in some of the unsupported countries, the iPhone's caller ID would not know how to deal with an incoming call stored in your address book. For example, you always store numbers with the country code attached, but if you travel to that country and use the country's local sim card. If you receive a call, it will appear minus the country code, and your iPhone won't be able to match it to the address book.

A fix is to have to jailbreak the iPhone, then use OpenSSH so you can modify the caller ID plist in order to add the other unsupported countries. I personally hated to jailbreak it but had no choice as I needed to fix the caller ID issue.

But with 2.2, Apple seems to have added caller ID support to more countries, maybe all, like all other phone companies do. For international users, this is great news as the caller ID will work properly regardless of which country your in. I'm just so happy I won't have to jailbreak my iPhone anymore!

astylianou

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2008
if i dial 00 1 718 XXX-XXXX to call to the states the number is not recognized (the nunber is on my addressbook as +718 XXX-XXXX.) however if i dial +1718 XXX-XXXX or 718 XXX-XXXXthe number gets recognized. The same occurs for any country and any number

I tried to use it for UK numbers
for Italian numbers
for Greek numbers
for US numbers

do you know why this is happening ?

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
if i dial 00 1 718 XXX-XXXX to call to the states the number is not recognized (the nunber is on my addressbook as +718 XXX-XXXX.) however if i dial +1718 XXX-XXXX or 718 XXX-XXXXthe number gets recognized. The same occurs for any country and any number

I tried to use it for UK numbers
for Italian numbers
for Greek numbers
for US numbers

do you know why this is happening ?

interesting, I have no idea, I have never tried the 00, I usually just use the +.

Also, when I receive long distance calls, they have never reached me as 00 1 718 XXX-XXXX.

So I think it is best to save all your numbers with the + at the beginning because some countries don't use 00 to dial long distance, and if you happen to be traveling, the + will always work. :)

astylianou

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2008
from speaking to other people we have found that the problem is probably a new check for official carriers on 2.2 if you are on an official carrier you will not have this problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.