Important: Need to recover a file from a Direct Instant Message

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NeoLink, Oct 16, 2007.

1. NeoLink macrumors member

NeoLink

I know there's a way to do this..

How do I recover a file that was transferred to me via a Direct instant Message on iChat when the window was X'ed out?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Did the file finish transferring? Look at your iChat Preferences -- in the first pane, there should be a location specified where your saved files go. If it finished transferring, it ought to be there. Conversely, were it not to be there, then you never got the whole file.

3. NeoLink thread starter macrumors member

NeoLink

I don't think you understand. When, say, a .jpg file is sent during a direct instand message, the picture shows up in the chat window and doesn't download on the desktop or whereever you set it to save files.

Now when the window is closed, I'm pretty sure there is a way to get that file back.

Anyone know how?

4. juliatruffle macrumors newbie

Help Me Too!!!

I have a similar question. I just closed a very important i chat and I desperately need it back. I didn't know I could set preferences to save them... I read it is possible to go through the server but am not a computer person...don't really know what that means. If someone could help me I would be beyond appreciative