Important OS X Question!!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aggieue, Dec 26, 2008.

1. aggieue macrumors newbie

My Macbook pro is currently running on windows xp...crappy I know. However, I do have a question. I have been having trouble tryinig to install mac os x but I think I may know one of the things that is holding me up, but I need your help! when running windows xp...if i insert mac os x cd, and open the D Drive to read the cd, will the contents of the cd be visible? (eventhough the mac is running on windows)??

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

osx is already installed if you have xp via bootcamp on your mbp

try holding option at start up

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

That was one of the more confusing questions I've read.

You're wanting to install Mac OS X on your MacBook Pro, on which you currently only have Windows XP installed. Do I have that right so far? If you're wanting to do that, put the OS X install disc in the drive, and restart the computer. As soon as you hear the startup chime, hold down the letter "C" on the keyboard. This will boot from the DVD, and allow you to install OS X.

Alternatively, you may hold down "Option" (aka "Alt"), and select the drive from the available options.

4. aggieue thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried doing both of those things...read my other forum..."Install OS X" then you will understand the problems I am having...

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

At the cost of your windows partition.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

then why did you make this thread if you already had one on the topic?

7. aggieue thread starter macrumors newbie

it was a seperate question...i told you to read the other forum because you asked different questions not pertaining to this one, I was just trying to keep it simple... and holding down the c key as I restart does nothing for me, it simply starts back in windows xp

8. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I may be asking a really stupid question here, but you do have the OSX CD in the drive when you restart the machine and press "C" right?

If that is the case, you should be getting the OSX installation menu, booted from the CD.

9. hypmatize macrumors regular

make sure you hold down option on your macbook pro keyboard and not an external as it wont work (at least mine doesn't. it wireless btw)

10. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Not to get too picky, but this thread is completely related to your first. Getting a new set of of responses only complicates the issue and gives you a bunch of repetitive information.

Force the issue and zero the drive. It seams as though you are not concerned with the XP install so you won't be losing anything starting fresh.