Important Parallels Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by R.Youden, Aug 2, 2007.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Hi everyone.

I have a major question about Parallels before I dump £100 on a new PCI card.

OK,

I need to run an embedded ARM processor off Linux and I am by no means an expert with Linux so the easiest solution was to install Ubuntu via Parallels. Eventually this worked fine. However the device I need to connect to runs of 2 D-type serial ports. Now for a MacPro with PCI-Extreme getting hold of a dual serial card isn't easy. I have found one at £100 which is Unix compatible. However it does not mention mac compatibility. Would such a card work under Parallels? The last thing I want to do is waste £100 on this card.

A link to the card can be found here.

Thanks for your help.

2. KershMan macrumors 6502

If it is not Mac compatible, I think the answer is no. You still need the Mac to recognize it since Parallels picks up all the hardware the Mac has registered. The BIOS on a Mac is different than that on a PC and if the card is not recognized at boot, Parallels will never be able to use it.

3. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

OK,

I have found this on 'tinternet. It says that it is Mac / PC compatible and I imagine that is the same for Linux under Parallels.

My only concern is, can I run two at the same time? Will Linux / mac be able to distinguish between the two, i.e. there will not be a mix-up between COM1 and COM2.

Thanks

4. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

Mac's use EFI and PC's use BIOS.

And if your Mac can see the item in question, chances are Parallels will be able to use it, you might need to tell Parallels to use the USB port, but beyond that it doesnt look like it should present a problem..And yes, Mac can distinguish between various ports :rolleyes: