Important Question about White iPhone Material

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by klex, Jul 8, 2008.

1. klex macrumors regular

Well, it's important to me anyway.

I was wondering whether the material they are using for the white iPhone is the same they are using for the macbooks. The reason why I ask is that I've seen so many white macbooks with yellow blemishes near the trackpad, presumably from people's hands. I'd hate to get a white iPhone only to have it turn yellow after a few months.

Anyone know?

2. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

They probably do use a comparable material for the cases. But, what you are referring to about the area near the trackpad is a different material then the outer case of the MB.

3. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

i second this question i would like to know.

im going to be getting a white one, but worried about it changing color :(

4. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

If they have used the same materials as the macbooks, it's a form of ABS.

Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene - Plastic (basically).

Its a material which does have characteristics of waring and tint after long use.

R-Fly

5. klex thread starter macrumors regular

Is the outer casing more durable?

6. AboveTheChaos macrumors regular

Ok great, I hadn't even thought about this until you mentioned it and I was seriously considering it! Now I'm wondering too. But, if you think about it, the white iPods didn't have that problem, did they? I think we may be ok. I'll have to see it up close to decide.

7. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

For the macbook, every few months I use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to carefully clean the area around the trackpad. I use just enough water to make the sponge damp and I barely touch the laptop - just a very light touch and it cleans in seconds.

8. klex thread starter macrumors regular

Wait, so I have to clean my phone every so often?! I'm sure I'll love it, but it would be too much of a hassle if I'd have to clean so often.

So much thinking apparently goes into the design of this thing, and then they can't even use material that doesn't blemish. I don't get it.

9. ec51 macrumors 6502

The white macbook plastic is more of a dull, flat white...if that makes sense. Whereas the iPhone 3G looks much more shiny....

eR