Important SDK Question!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by music.addict411, Feb 17, 2008.

1. music.addict411 macrumors member

music.addict411

I finally understand what the iPhone/touch SDK is.....but I am still wondering this:

Once the SDK is relased and the new apps come out...will I be able to actually download them and use them without entering Safari?

Thanks

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

We don't know.

The best guess, i've heard, at the moment is that they will be available through iTunes.

3. music.addict411 thread starter macrumors member

music.addict411

!!

Really!!?? If thats true I will be VERY happy.

I wonder if they will cost money (I wouldn't mind too much)

4. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

That's the question we'll hopefully know the answer to in about a week and a half or so.

In an ideal world, Apple will provide a mechanism where each app developer gets to choose whether or not to give away apps for free, and we'd see a mixture of some free apps, and some other apps that cost money.

Exactly how free apps would work in conjunction with Apple's rumored quality control and distribution measures (and for that matter, exactly what form Apple's quality control and distribution will actually take) are also questions that are yet to be answered conclusively.

[edit] Personally, I don't care so much about whether or not I'd have to pay for certain other peoples' apps - if any given app delivers sufficient value for the money being charged, I'm perfectly fine with that. However, I'd be supremely disappointed if I didn't have the ability to whip up and use any of my own apps that I may be inspired to write from time to time. Fingers crossed! [/edit]