IMPORTANT Verizon iPhone Concerns and Questions **Not just another thead**

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ItouchMe, Jan 9, 2011.

1. ItouchMe macrumors regular

ItouchMe

I need someone to explain some logic to me, because what I am seeing right now is a total disaster.

1) Say on Jan 11th they announce the iPhone 4 will be carried by Verizon and it is coming out Feb/March. You are going to lock in all your Verizon customers with a contract when in 2-3 months after that, Apple (RELIGIOUSLY) will release a new generation for AT&T like they have been doing since 2007. Wouldn't it be smart just to release the new generation in June/July for both or is Apple so greedy they don't even care that Verizon customer will be behind a generation?

2) Correct me if I am wrong, but in multiple commercials AT&T prides them selves in being able to talk on the phone and browse 3G networks at the same time because Verizon could not do that. So is this feature not going to be available for the Verizon iPhone 4. I know it will be available for Verizon's LTE service but don't tell me that this iPhone is going to be 4G, because we all know it is not.

3) This is not a question but more of a theory/statement. On Jan 11th, Verizon should announce that they will be carrying the new iPad generation which is rumored to be out super soon (Check MacRumors news) and should let their customers know that they will be carrying the iPhone next launch in June/July. It just makes more sense.

SOMEONE PLEASE SET ME STRAIGHT BECAUSE IF I WAS ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE ON VERIZON OR READY TO JUMP SHIP, I WOULD WANT TO KNOW ALL OF THESE ANSWERS.

2. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Awesome questions! Look at this education site from Verizon. I found some of your answers on the first page. Good luck!
    http://www.thinkfinity.org/

3. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

I'm sure the iPhone 5 won't be much of an upgrade. Mostly software advances. It certainly won't be a jump like the 3GS was with the i4.

4. ItouchMe thread starter macrumors regular

ItouchMe

Great feedback, but is anyone want to tackle these questions head on?

5. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

1. and 2. The new iphone in June will not be LTE capable. Look at the original iPhone. 3G was already out and Apple waited a year to implement it. It will not be wide spread enough for Apple to incorporate it. Plus the next iPhone is close to testing stages in the real world and i dont think LTE will be ready enough for the testing. The new iPhone will be minor improvements. 8 mp camera, 1.3 front. Maybe processor boost. Small things. iPhone 4 will be available on tuesday for verizon. The one in June will be for both. The voice/data at the same time will just be a feature Verizon customers wont have and have to deal with until the LTE iPhone. They do will the droids and android smartphones so its not much different.

3. Apple will announce iPad 2 in the 1-2 months. Apple will say which carriers it will be on. Verizon wont say anything on tues about the iPad 2.

6. orangebluedevil macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I agree with all your questions and while I won't address them one at a time, I will offer what I believe is the correct answer to them all: iPhone 5 (Aka June event) will be about the software.

The early Vz adopters will get the upgrades for free then: ui umprovements, notifications, etc.

Moreover, the people that *know* apple can wait until June and get the few upgrades. The people that don't know apple likely also won't care/know about the upgrades. It seems strange to us ...but we aren't normal consumers.

Sorry, but I think it's as simple as that.

7. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

You're sure are you? Been channeling Steve?
    Stop...
    NO ONE on this site knows what will be released in June. (at least no one who would dare to comment on it publicly).
    NO ONE even knows whether there will even BE a release in June (again, at least no one who would dare to comment on it publicly).
    You can make an educated guess and I'll give you that. But you only have an opinion like everyone else on this site.
    I'll give you my guess...and I am NOT sure of this at all. I think the game has changed. I think the release of more advanced phones from the competition will force Apple's hand a bit. And I think a Verizon iPhone 4 being released mid-cycle (if it is released) changes the game as well.
    So, I wouldn't be too sure that the 3g-3gs migration serves as a useful roadmap for what will happen with the current model and the next model of iPhone.

8. stewart715 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't be surprised to see this 'religious' trend to end now and have iPhone 5 released in January 2012--for both networks (I'm not saying I think that's going to happen, I just wouldn't be surprised).

One of the main reasons I don't see a June iPhone release is because they are likely to release the LTE version for both networks and it isn't feasible to do that (for AT&T) until next January. At this stage, I don't see any major improvements to the iPhone other than LTE.

9. stewart715 macrumors 6502

Your 3G -> 3GS model is a likely factor in iPhone 4 -> iPhone '4S'

That seems like a higher possibility than iPhone 5. Perhaps iPhone 4S with LTE?

10. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Maybe so...but, as I said, I think the game has changed now. I don't necessarily think the past roadmap charts the course for this year and the future. There are just too many other phones out there that are legitimate competitors to the iPhone as compared to when the 3g-3gs changeover happened.

11. Orion126 macrumors regular

AT&T has already stated that 2012's iPhone will be the one with LTE which means IF VZW gets the iPhone this year it will just have a CDMA radio. They will get the LTE version with AT&T next year.

Like most have said this years refresh will more likely be a better camera, better processor, and more space. Nothing too big.

iPhoneLTE will be huge because it will be the first time we truly have a choice as consumers (who want iPhones) with two telco networks offering the same product.

12. shandyman Suspended

1) the iPhone 4 coming to another carrier 6 months before the next iteration comes out is nothing new, in the UK O2 lost exclusivity and the new carriers got the 3GS in January-ish and still got the iphone 4 in June, 3GS still sold well on the new carriers despite the cycle being in place of a new iPhone in the summer. also, don't forget that the current phone becomes the following years low end phone, so a CDMA iPhone 4 will be made and sold until June 2012 along with the existing GSM iPhone 4.

and 3) Verizon will not say anything about the iPad 2, not until after Apple announce it first. Tomorrow is an iPhone announcement and to be honest, makes more sense for it to be launching asap rather than announce the iPhone will be on their network come June/July as it will hinder sales all round.

13. huskerchad macrumors regular

Anything could happen. I think there's still the smallest of chances that tomorrow's announcement might not be the Verizon iPhone, though it's certainly coming and anyone who has been paying attention could see that for the last ~8 months.

I do think there's a better than 50/50 chance of hearing about a Verizon-native iPad. They already bundle the iPad with their product. Carrying the iPhone makes the question natural. I don't think they're going to announce anything about iPad 2.0, just that they will say something like, "We anticipate offering a Verzion 3G iPad later this year".

But as to the specific questions--as far as I know, being a CDMA device means that the Verizon iPhone will not do voice and data at the same time. The only way around is that is if the voice isn't really "voice" (e.g. Skype).

The most interesting question to me is what happens with future iPhone models. I honestly have no idea but I don't think it will be "new iPhones in June, suck it to all you Verizon customers who signed up in January". I think that Apple & Verizon have to have some way of smoothing these customers into the upgrade cycle.

Could be with an offer of buying the iPhone 4 now to get a discount (subsidized rates maybe) on iPhone 5 later this year.

Could be that this model is just a stopgap that won't have subsidized pricing, so the first subsidized Verizon iPhone is the iPhone 5.

Could be that Apple just plans more frequent hardware updates (I doubt this one very strongly).

Who knows. Tomorrow, we'll actually know some things, instead of just speculating about them.

14. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Will both carriers have the same LTE, in others words you'll have a choice of carriers.

15. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Here's my thoughts:

1. People are buying iphone 4's right now on ATT. How would it be any different than buying an iphone 4 on Verizon tomorrow (or next month, whenever they are officially released)? I have a couple of friends who bought the iPhone 3GS at the end of April last year at the full price. They weren't upset they didn't wait. It is to each their own.

2. I really think this is blown out of proportion. I have a Droid X on Verizon. I can count on one hand how many times I would want to surf the net or check my email while on the phone over the last 8 months. You can still get to your already downloaded emails, your GPS will still work as long as you aren't trying to plot the course while on the call, you can still look up numbers on your contact lists, etc., etc., etc. The only times I have ever run into this as an issue was finding the address for a restaurant to give to a friend since we were meeting there. You know how I solved the problem? I hung up with them, got on my browser, found the address, left the page pulled up on the browser, called them back and pulled the browser back up since it was sitting there cached. My friends actually prefer not sitting on the phone waiting for me to find the address. Calling them back is actually preferred.

3. No it doesn't. There is no reason to make a big fuss over announcing they are going to carry the next gen iPad. They already carry the current generation.

16. ApplEngineer macrumors regular

On #2, while it may not be a huge deal breaker it does make a difference. Have you had an iPhone and tried this feature out? I've been on the phone multiple times when I need to look something up or send something real quick. Like a teleconference, so the fact I just switch to my browser while I'm listening to the teleconference, then it is very helpful.

17. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

if a verizon iPhone comes out in February Apple will "double down" and release another Verizon iPhone this summer when they release the new GSM version...Apple loves piles of money and they could care less about you carrier contract...of course that's if there is in fact a Verizon iPhone tomorrow

18. shandyman Suspended

as i have said, it will be no different to internationally where carriers have stopped being exclusive mid cycle, like the UK, orange and vodafone got the iPhone, did the 3GS in January, then did iPhone 4 in June, it still did great.

there's too much evidence pointing towards it being an iPhone on verizon tomorrow, and this is from someone not even affected by it. am finding this verizon hating hysterical that people are in such denial about it being quite likely

19. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Here's an idea: why not just wait less than 24 hours where many of these questions will likely be answered?

Seriously, what do you people expect? That any of us will know the answer?