Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleish19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
Hello everyone,

I’m currently planning a trip and I’m thinking about purchasing a iPad mini to take along with me. I pay for 2 TB of iCloud storage.

I’m wondering if I have a 64 GB iPad and import some photos from an external camera will they upload to iCloud and respect the conserve iPad storage space option? ie. import to photos app on iPad and then upload the photos to icloud and get rid of full sized ones?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
If you're importing the photos into the Photos app, sure, the originals will upload to iCloud as long as you have a good internet connection. It would also work to import photos into a Files app iCloud folder. iCloud would work the same way you're used to regardless of the photo source. But is that what you're asking?

By the way, you can get a like-new refurb iPad Mini 5 256GB from the Apple Refurb Store for only $70 (for $469) more than what you'd pay for a brand new 64GB ($399). Maybe four times the storage would make things easier on your trip too. Just a thought.

Last edited:

appleish19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
If you're importing the photos into the Photos app, sure, they will upload to iCloud as long as you have a good internet connection. iCloud would work the same way you're used to regardless of the photo source. But is that what you're asking?

By the way, you can get a like-new refurb iPad Mini 5 256GB from the Apple Refurb Store for only $70 (for $469) more than what you'd pay for a brand new 64GB ($399). Maybe four times the storage would make things easier on your trip too. Just a thought.

Yes importing them with the SD or USB to lightning adapter. I guess I’m wondering if once they are on the iPad and uploaded to iCloud will they follow the setting “optimize iPad storage” instead of keeping the full images if space gets low?

definitely going for the 256 GB model.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Yes, if you have the optimize option enabled, it will be respected. For your peace-of-mind, test it out before your trip. And great that you're going for a 256!

This might help too:

appleish19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
Yes, if you have the optimize option enabled, it will be respected. For your peace-of-mind, test it out before your trip. And great that you're going for a 256!
Awesome. Just wanted to make sure. That way I don’t have to lug around my laptop. Then this fall or whenever the new iPad mini comes out I can trade up.

Reactions: 0128672
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.