Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bj097

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
I often need to import photos from my iPad to desktop PC. All photos on my iPad and desktop PC (after imported) look perfect but once I delete the EXIF from them, most of the photos (not all) are rotated by 90 degree which makes me spend extra more time rotating the photos back to their correct orientations

Why does that happen and how to solve the problems? I almost always need to remove EXIF from the images
[doublepost=1490421871][/doublepost]I always take photo with my iPad with correct orientation. I always make sure the button appear on my right-handed side before I click on it to shot a picture

The pictures also show a perfect good orientation on my iPad device, but once they are imported to PC and their EXIF are removed everything becomes rotated. It's really so odd!

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
One of the pieces of EXIF data is a field that records the orientation that the photo should be presented in. When you delete all EXIF data the receiving device (the PC) has nothing to go on but just the order of the pixels in the file. So pictures taken in whatever the native orientation of the camera is look fine, but in the transverse orientation they come out looking like the native orientation - i.e. 'rotated'. You might look for a more granular solution for deleting EXIF data, or resign yourself to having to manually reorder the pixels in the file using a utility as you have been doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.