Importing a downloadable calendar

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by diane143, Apr 11, 2012.

1. diane143 macrumors 6502a

I know this spans a few forum areas but I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I work for an events company. Someone came up with the great idea of putting a csv of our calendar on our website for customers to download, as I guess Outlook can import csv.

I was thinking about a way to also import into iCal, iPhone and others.......

Is this possible? I know I've downloaded .ics files for iCal but not sure you can import direct from email into an iPhone?

I also don't want it to be so difficult to update anytime a time or something changes on our calendar - ie would all these be different file formats?

Any thoughts on this? I did try google but I think my search terms are just too broad.

Thanks!
    Diane

2. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I like to talk to myself so I'll update my thread. :)

Making the ICS is easy and I've never tried to import one on an iDevice - that really is nice, you can select some or all.

But it doesn't look like there is a free way to convert an ICS to an Outlook format? I don't have access to Outlook here so I can't even try it. I was trying on a Win 7 machine last night, and I can't even find the import function yet (I really hate that damn ribbon!)

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Diane,

Better would be to make a new Gmail account (or use a current one), import the calendar as it is now to the Gmail calendar, share the calendar with the public as "view only", and provide the ICAL link on your website. Any changes to the calendar by your company will show up in the subscribers calendars.

4. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! I had considered google but we were trying not to make it too difficult (haha, I know).

Will this span across other platforms? Outlook, BB, Android???

I can play with google more tonight. We were actually hoping it could be something they could download and install if they want.

I really love how the iDevices let you choose some or all!

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Google IS Android, so definitely. Blackberry, yes, but it may depend on the model and OS version being run. Microsoft Outlook for Windows is supposed to be able to subscribe to an ics feed. Outlook for Mac...No, at least not yet if ever. iCal for Mac, of course. iOS devices...Yes.