Importing a Mac to UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cartmell, Apr 22, 2007.

1. cartmell macrumors member

cartmell

Hey Guys

In the very near future I am gonna switch from PC to Mac, most likely iMac (whenever the new design comes out). What I want to know, is there any way of importing a mac from the US/Canada to the UK. And if so will I be hammered with import tax. What other things would concern me. Obviously I would need a different power lead so could I buy these from apple. And what is the situation of the warranty of an imported Mac.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

2. bartelby macrumors Core

You would get caught by C&E as the box is rather large and noticeable.

Warranty wouldn't be honoured over here. The laptops have global warranties but desktops do not.

3. Gordy macrumors 6502a

Depends on if you are buying it in the US personally or not, if you are you can easily import it you just have to declare it on return.

If you want to buy it from the US/canada you will have massive problems as apple and their resellers will not let you buy one for shipping to the UK.

4. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

I brought a laptop back from the US in its box and didn't pay any customs.. but as bartelby said, warranty for desktops isn't good over here, unlike the laptops. Also the iMac box is pretty big. And to top it off, shipping will be a bitch.

5. originalnewbie macrumors newbie

im in the same boat as cartmell but im looking at macbooks, i know i should wait until after wwdc but i can only get one brought over from USA in may - my real question is can i use my ipod 3pin uk wall charger socket in the macbook power brick instead of having to buy the world converters pack?

6. bartelby macrumors Core

You mean put the 3 pin plug on to the mains adapter?
    Yes, that's why it was designed that way.

7. originalnewbie macrumors newbie